Search

Thai Air Announces New LAX-BKK Schedule

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thai Air Announces New LAX-BKK Schedule

Hey gang.

I posted this over in FlyerTalk last night, but thought everyone here would like to know as well.

I ended up finding this out from United by accident last night when I called to confirm our Thai Air reservation that new flight numbers and times had been announced from October forward on the LAX-BKK route.

Caused a bit of confusion since it showed up in United's system first (Thai's systems still showed the old direct flight) but that changed after around midnight when Thai updated their info as well to remove the nonstops (farewell, good friend!) and add the new route from LA to Bangkok via Osaka.

The new flight #s and times are as follows:

LAX-BKK
TG#797
departs LAX @ 12:10
arrives BKK @ 23:40

BKK-LAX
TG#796
departs BKK @ 07:30
arrives LAX @ 09:15

Obviously this includes the technical stop at KIX, that they had mentioned would be included.

Hope this doesn't throw too many wrenches into the plans of my fellow Fodorites, such as Guen and Carol (and any others heading to BKK post-September.)

Personally, it's a huge bummer for me that we're losing 12 hrs on both the outbound and return--and now have to get stay an extra night now that we arrive the night before we were expecting to...and leave first-thing in the morning to come back, effectively losing our entire last day there.

All this, plus I hate idea of long-haul daytime flights? Anyone have any advice on when to sleep and when to not sleep so we're not wide awake when we get there at midnight? I've only ever arrived early in the AM for 2 years in a row, so this is new for me.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 09:12 AM

I have found that it is best to get as much sleep as you can to help reduce jet lag. Chances are you will not sleep that well anyway and will be somewhat tired when you arrive. Also it helps that it will be dark at that time.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 09:30 AM

Upon boarding I set my watch to my destination's timezone and try to arrange everything from sleep to eating based on that. If that means sleeping through the initial meal on the flight, so be it.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 09:39 AM

Thanks for posting the schedule and this does really mess things up as now my flight will be leaving in the AFTERNOON on a day that I have to work...instead of at 9:30PM. Plus, my apartment isn't reserved for arriving the night BEFORE. It's booked for arriving the MORNING of.
I'll need to call Thai Air soon and try to get things straightened out. Maybe I can leave the next day...if it's not already sold out. Happy Travels!
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 09:52 AM

This is indeed a bummer. I really liked the non-stop flight. Saved about 4-5 hours all together.

Will, I also like night flights. You might take a look at Cathay Pacific. They usually have a couple of flights leaving around midnight, arriving in the morning (routed through Hong Kong). I've done that flight a few times, it's not bad.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Although I know many folks here warn of the dangers, I'm an Ambien person myself on long-hauls...never had an issue with them (over at least 10 or 15 flights.)

That said, I think it'll be a first for me taking a sleeping pill during the day. So I guess it makes sense to stay up for a few hrs...take an Ambien about 10 hours before we arrive in Osaka, have our layover + stay awake for the entire flight to Bangkok. Then take an Ambien upon arrival at the hotel in Bangkok (only if we're wide awake and not completely exhausted.)

Sounds crazy--I love it!

Old Aug 5th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Kristina, thanks for the tip. We're actually already booked on a reward ticket in Biz Class...so even with the inconvenience, it's still Business Class!
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 10:05 AM

I'm accustomed to arriving in Bangkok about midnight. I've been doing it for years and I really like the schedule. My approach: I stay awake until Narita (I might doze briefly). When I re-board at Narita on the way to Bangkok, that's when I sleep. I don't sleep well - even in Biz, but I do get some sleep (no Ambien or other sleep meds). But since it's by then in the wee hours of the morning my body's time, I am usually able to sleep a little. (Sometimes I do stay awake that whole flight as well)

When I arrive in Bangkok, we get to our hotel ASAP - it's pretty quick at that time of night. I take a hot bath or shower when I get to my hotel and take a melatonin and go to sleep. I'm typically awake pretty early that first day - 6 or 7, but I function pretty normally up unitl about 7 pm when I crash. After that, I'm pretty much on Bangkok time.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 12:00 PM

This night arrival stuff is a bummer for me. I did it for years, but loved it when the non-stops were put on and then I could arrive into BKK, from L.A. at 6:40AM. I don't like long-routed day flights period. The screaming/crying kids stay up longer and there's just too much busyness for me.
I do hope that they have Premier Economy on this new flight. When I called about 2 months ago, they said they didn't know what was up and to call back in a month or so. I bought Premier Economy on the original ticket. So, from now out, with this back to stopping in Osaka stuff, I guess I'll have to try to save up and get the heck OUT of regular Economy Class. Happy Travels!
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Guen, sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but there is no Premium Economy on the new flights.

The seat maps and the selections on their website only allow for Business and Coach on these flights.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 02:18 PM

Wow, such a bummer for you guys. I hope you don't have to cancel plans. That'd be really bad.

I'm not trying to do the LAX route on Thai anytime soon, although I had thought about it. I've already got my ORD-NRT-BKK flights on UA, for December/January, in economy+ unless I try to upgrade at the gate. I am used to arriving around midnight, and I'm usually "somewhat" awake, just because of the excitement of being back in BKK. After I check in at Adelphi, I hop over to Maeng's place since she is open late hours. I'ts only a short walk. But then I try to sleep in a bit the next morning. Not always easy to do. I don't sleep much on flights, even in business or first class. Best sleep, by far, was last trip, when I had the 5 center seats across the middle row on a 777 in econ+ from NRT to ORD. That was fantastic!!!

I'm doing the same UA route (ORD NRT BKK) in just two weeks (yippeeee!!) for some shopping and relaxation. It'll be my third solo trip.

Hope you guys get your flights all ironed out, and soon. It sure is a bummer not knowing for sure!!

Carol
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 02:37 PM

... many thanks for the update ... (and once again, deepest condolences over losing your beloved TG non-stops to the City of Angels.)

(But all is not lost, possums: in future, perhaps consider NH5/915: those sweet ANA girls (so love their little silk neck scarves) could very well take fine care of you, LAX-NRT-BKK.)

I've always loved "daytime long-hauls", N.A.-Asia, particularly, SQ's sweet 15: SFO-ICN-SIN. (Although, of late, I've occasionally flown TG or OZ onto BKK, ex-ICN.) 1-2-1 business seating, and yes, those sensational Girls. Standard routine is to arrive early at SFO, say hello to 'R' at the UA I RCC, collect my drink chits, chat with the lovely 'C' about Hong Kong over bloodies or mimosas, then head over a few paces to the cherished SQ SKLs. (Yes, I know the F and J lounges are relatively small and not particularly 'flash', but I'm a life-long SIA loyalist; they work for me.) Usually pleasantly quiet, and sometimes, young, cute Asian women scanning the papers ...

... then boarding, and entering The Realm of Angels. Girls, champagne, Girls, "Book the Cook", Girls, Ambien, and yes, the occasional dreams of Girls ... (and Zhang Ziyi) ...

... (and just between us with those late-night BKK arrivals: well, every now and then, certain cherished friends and masseuses would so happen to be in the vicinity ... sweet dreams) ...

... as always, joyous Thai times to all of you ...

macintosh (robert)

... "Khun Robert! Welcome back to Bangkok! What's your room number?!" ...

(long, long, before meeting the mrs.)

Old Aug 5th, 2008, 04:49 PM

Filmwil...So, I'd better call Thai Air this Friday when I have time to do it. This is horrible! So, they'd better be refunding some money since economy and premier economy don't cost the same. And it's just too expensive right now to upgrade to business class. I wasn't expecting this airline craziness to happen this year and did not plan to fork out extra money for to end up in economy class.
I'm going to start looking around at other airlines to see what's available. I checked Cathay Pacific today and the economy class price that popped up in the computer for my dates was over $2900. What a laugh. Plus, they're connected with American Airline's frequent flyer program. I have an American Airlines account, but never use it.

I only have one flight on my American Airline
statement...a spur-of-the-moment trip to Barbados a few years ago. I'm basically on Delta and United and their partners. Happy Travels!
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 06:08 PM

Guenmai-I remember reading when they did this before (reconfigured and removed Premium Economy) that they bumped those into PE up into Business Class. Maybe you will get lucky.
If not, they should at least refund the difference, no?
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 06:16 PM

simply stated it sucks.....i hate the late nite arrival and the early morning departure....

that was eliminted with the direct flights and that is why i loved air france so much also....
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Guen, from what I've read on other boards, when they removed the JFK route (which also had Premium Economy), Thai Air had a few people they had booked in Premium that they wanted to be re-accomodated via their LAX flight in Premium. It sounds like peoples experiences varied--some were moved to economy and refunded the difference...and other (more persistant folks) complained loudly and got rerouted on ANA (a Star Alliance partner of Thai's) in Premium Economy through LAX (via Japan.)

I would suggest choosing the latter route. You're a longtime Thai customer, and I think you've got a leg to stand one if you can get in touch with a supervisor in the LA office (you might have to wait awhile to get one.) Try getting re-routed on ANA in the class-of-service you paid for.

I think Kristina's suggestion used to be something they did in the past, but keep in mind they are now reducing their # of biz class seats from 60 (on the old plane) to 30 (on the new one)...so they're already halving their capacity for business class, which should create quite a backlog for them--so I wouldn't expect a bump up in that direction.

Hope this helps--and good luck! I think you'll get what you want, with some persistence.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 07:09 PM

Thanks, filmwil...and I can be VERY persisitent..so I'll see how it all turns out and I also need to get my frequent flyer miles. Happy Travels!
Old Aug 8th, 2008, 07:00 PM

Filmwil...As of today, my situation has been taken care of and I've been upgraded to Business at no additional cost. Happy Travels!
Old Aug 8th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Well look at you. Miss Taking Care of Business is what I'm calling you from now on. I'm impressed. I've been reading on a lot of other boards how no one has had success doing that so far. They obviously need to take some cues from you. Congrats--we can share Royal Silk stories at next year's GTG.
Old Aug 8th, 2008, 07:22 PM

so how is next year's GTG coming?? any dates yet??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -