Reload this Page >

Terryr seeks your recommendation of a tailor for women's clothes in Hong Kong

Notices

Old Mar 11th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you recommend a tailor who does excellent work with women's clothing? I am hoping that Cicerone and others will chime in here! I am finally heading to Hong Kong and will be there in early June (after a 2-week trip in PRC) and would like to have some basic items made, such as silk blouses or simple women's jackets, preferably with materials from their shop. My family and I will be staying at the Intercontinental Hotel so would prefer to do business in that area. I plan to bring my own clothing that the tailor can copy in hopes that this will allow me to get exactly what I want made in the short time frame that I have.

I have been recommended to Pete's Fashions by the local travel agent whom we are working with. They are located in the Metropole Building, 3rd floor, at 57 Peking Road in TST, Kowloon. Does anyone know of this place, and do they do solid work for women? Or who is your recommendation?

My last questions: is it realistic to hope that if I make an appt first thing on a Monday morning, that I can get my finished pieces back by Weds evening (we arrive on Sat evening and depart on Thursday...I would even be able to go in on Sunday, but doubt that any tailor would be working that day)? I am prepared to go in for a couple of fittings. While I know that I will not be paying Bangkok prices (darn), can you tell me the price range of what I should expect to pay these days for a silk blouse and an unlined simple women's jacket in a wool blend?

Many thanks for your continued excellent help! Cicerone, rkkwan, and fellow fodorites, I am armed with all of your notes on HK and the PRC...I feel quite prepared, thanks to all of your input over these past months!

Terry
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 05:43 PM

before i forget it, make sure you go up to felix at the top of the penn...joseph must use the men's room there!!

i think your time frame might be quite tight for tailoring???
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 05:49 PM

Terry, I used Maxwell's and had excellent results. If you email them ahead, they will even open for you on a Sunday. (A friend of mine did this.) I brought along something for them to copy and they did a perfect job!

They are located perhaps two blocks from the Star ferry on the Kowloon side, very convenient to your hotel. I've been looking for their card, to no avail, but will continue to look for it.

By the way, they had a very nice selection of fabrics.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Hi Kathie,

Now that you have recommended Maxwell's, I remember Cicerone recommending that tailor to another person who posted and was looking for a tailor to do finishing work on some of her clothes.

Here is the information that Cicerone wrote: Maxwell's Clothier, 38-40 Hankow Road, TST, maxwellsclothier.com. I am glad to have received your vote of confidence for this tailor as well! Can you tell me how was their pricing? What would I be paying for a silk blouse, say?

I will take up your suggestion to email them ahead and ask for an appt on Sunday because I am concerned, like Bob, that I would not be giving them enough time if I went in on Monday.

Cicerone, if you can recommend a particular tailor there, can you post it? Thanks.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Correction: maxwellsclothiers.com
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 06:59 PM

Yes, that's them.

I can't tell you much about pricing, as it was three years ago I was there, and the dollar has declined significantly since then. I guess I'd say that it has been many years since Hong Kong was a bargain destination, but Maxwell's quality is impeccable.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Kathie, thanks for the continued feedback. Yes, I remember Cicerone also said that Maxwell's work is superb so that's great to hear the same from both of you. Since I have not heard Pete's Fashions being cited on this forum, I think that I will go ahead and contact Maxwell's instead.

Bob, OK, will remember to have Joseph check out the men's room at Felix when we are there. Speaking of which, have you checked out Mantra's men's room here in town...some patrons say that it rivals the Indian restaurant itself?! (this is really a test to see if you're still reading my thread, Bob!)
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 10:37 AM

A friend has used WW Chan and was extremely pleased with the results. I've also used them for men's clothing, and I find that they consistently offer the very finest fabrics and workmanship. WW Chan is in the Burlington Arcade on Nathan Rd, about a 5-minute walk from the InterContinental.

WW Chan also makes regular visits to the US, so it's relatively simple to get more clothing made if you''re pleased with your initial purchases.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 04:25 PM

i'm reading, of course, and will check it out....what street is it on??

have you started your china trip report yet??
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 04:26 PM

rizzulo's post reminds me that Maxwell's does the same. I get notices from them from time to time that they will be in Seattle.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 12:53 AM

Who you talking to, Mr Bob? If it be me, do a search in this forum for a recent post with 'Lijiang' the first word in the title -- that's my China report.

If you're looking for WW Chan, they're at 95 Nathan Rd and www.wwchan.com
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 02:10 AM

Maxwell’s may be open on Sundays. I would contact them now by e-mail and ask (or check their website for hours.) Otherwise, I have my doubts that Maxwell’s or another tailor can do this in your timeframe, or may charge a significant premium such that it may not be worth it to you. I never am in a rush, and so I typically wait 2-3 weeks for a first fitting and then another 2 weeks for a finished garment, so can’t say with confidence how quickly (or not) a tailor could turn items around.

It may be faster for them to work from one of THEIR designs, as they would know those better than trying to copy your unfamiliar design. Just a guess, but you may want to ask which would be faster.

I am having some trousers and jackets made at Margaret Court (she is on the Hong Kong side and is definitely closed on Sundays), from wool crepe fabric she sold to me, and while it is hard to break up between trouser and jacket, my rough math is that she is charging about US$190 each for the jackets, which are lined. For an unlined, you hopefully would pay less. I don’t know about silk blouses, my very rough guess would be about US$40-60 per piece. I agree with Kathie that you are paying for good quality tailoring and good fabrics, you won’t really pay any less (or much less) for a tailor in Hong Kong than buying off the rack from a department store; but you will get a better fit and better fabric, and better linings.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Cicerone and rizzuto for your useful feedback on tailors in Hong Kong. While I was in Bangkok over Christmas week of 2005, I had some silk blouses made at Cotton House, copied more or less from my own. They charged me $50 for each and did them within the 4 days that we were there with two fittings. So your HK pricing for the blouses don't seem too out of line, surprisingly, to the prices in Bangkok (maybe I was overcharged there?). And because I was so pleased with the quality and fit of the finished products, I am interested in pursuing custom made clothing again while I am in Hong Kong...but based on what you say about the turn-around time, it may not be possible. As you and Kathie suggested, I will email Maxwell's with my inquiry and see if they can accomodate to my time frame and needs.

rizzuto, I think that Bob was asking me whether I plan to do a trip report prior to my trip to China...perhaps not until I return or feel that I have anything worthy to add to all the postings that have already been written up.

Bob, Mantra's address is 73 Temple Place in Boston, site of a former bank...the restrooms are downstairs where the vaults used to be and are a real hoot, both men's and women's...it was the craze when it opened a few years back...the food is still good but high end.