Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (
-   Asia (
-   -   teaching in thailand (

jordycarter Jan 4th, 2004 04:21 AM

teaching in thailand
I was thinking of living and working in thailand as an english teacher, but have no previous teaching experience or qualifications. Can anyone give me any advice as to the best way to go about finding work there as an english teacher? I would prefer not to work in Bangkok but if this is my only option then so be it.

JamesA Jan 4th, 2004 08:43 AM

Well first you need to be qualified, not just because it is required but also because the students deserve correct 'teaching'. You will need a Non-Immigrant 'B' Visa before going and you need letters from employer for that. What many do is head for bangkok and then check out the local press. Be wary!
Wages are very very low, starts from about $500 a month, don't be misled that it goes far, accommodation, transport, other costs all mount up. You really need some back up funds from home too. Hours are long.
You 'can' find work in Chiang Mai and other locations outside of Bangkok. I 'beg you' though not to think it's a way to laze on a beach under a plam tree, I have met many who thought it was!! It's hard work and low pay. If you have that clear then good luck. Do though please ensure you get the correct TEFL, many Thais pay a great deal for English tuition/teaching and it is only fair on the students that their teachers are seriously dedicated.
Try for lots more info than I can give.

JamesA Jan 4th, 2004 08:45 AM

P.S Forgot to mention that a Work Permit is required, this is once you have been offered the work, do not under any circumstances listen to anyone who says 'Don't worry, you don't need one', the laws are very strict, anyone who says you don't need it, walk away.

Kathie Jan 4th, 2004 08:52 AM

While it is true that some people manage to get teaching jobs only because they are native English speakers, those jobs are harder to come by and don't pay as well. Often those jobs are paid "under the table" and don't come with a visa (so you'll have to make regular visa runs). Start by getting some qualifications. You can take a TEFL course and get certified, do some volunteer work tutoring local immigrants so you have some experience. Then start looking for a job in Thailand.

JamesA Jan 4th, 2004 10:38 AM

Any work done without an official work permit is illegal and the consequences are severe. Even with a work permit you must renew the 'B' Visa every 12 months overseas. Only in certain locations such as Bangkok can you extend your 90 day 'B' visa entry, in other areas even if working you would have to make a trip over the border every 90 days, it gets expensive.

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:20 PM.