Taxi or private car in Shanghai?

Sep 14th, 2004, 02:19 PM
cwn
Original Poster

Taxi or private car in Shanghai?

I will be in Shanghai in a few weeks for a day. Does anyone know if taxis are available at Gao Yang Pier to rent for the day? Has anyone used Shanghai Gary Line for a private car and guide? I would like to go from the pier to Yu Gardens, Old Town and Shanghai Museum then back to the pier. Any suggestions?
Sep 14th, 2004, 06:10 PM

Shanghai taxis are everywhere. But if the distances are short, you could just walk. Buy a city map on NanJing road in any book store and show the driver where you want to go. I would only hire a private car if I were going out of town to SuZhou (highly recommend) or NinBo. Shanghai is a very small city. Try to arrange an evening drive through the Bund, you won't regret it, the view is postcard perfect. I have used the buses, but the buses are too complicated for visitors.
Sep 14th, 2004, 07:38 PM
cwn
Original Poster

Thanks. It all sounds wonderful, but we will arrive at the pier at 7am and sail at 6pm. We need information on trasportation from the pier into town. I have not been able to find out anything about what is available.
Sep 15th, 2004, 01:17 AM

hi, I heard from a friend, he came to Shanghai three days ago from Melbourne, and he used full-service transpotation. I got the site of that company www.asialimo.com hopefully it would help you. See you!!
Sep 15th, 2004, 04:55 AM

Old Town. I don't know what that means. Do you mean the Slums of the "French Quarters" (aka International Settlement)? They are both worth seeing. The French and American Quarters are facing FuXingGong Yuan. Think of FuXingGong Yuan as Shanghai's Central Park. The French Quarters is a nice place for dinner after you have walked off a movie set. The International Settlement has been preserved for Chinese movies about that period (1920). Steven Spielberg's Rising Sun was filmed there.

In the morning, I would have the taxi driver drop you off at PenLai Lu and walk or take a taxi to Chenghuan Miao (Antique Bazar) but. There is an old Ming Dynasty gate that marks PenLai Lu.

I would go there for several reasons. One, this is the oldest continuous Chinese settlement. On the map, Ren Min Lu is a circular road. Two, it is very lively and there are lots of interesting things to note: street vendors, the living conditions, and traditional Chinese architecture. Shanghai is not a place to go if you want to be alone and mediatate. Especially old Shanghai, it is very crowded and lively.

But don't miss the Bund.
Sep 15th, 2004, 02:23 PM

Will you be on a cruise ship? You might want to check if your cruise line provides a shuttle transfer into town. The pier is not that far from the central part of Shanghai.
Sep 15th, 2004, 05:45 PM
cwn
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies!

Sboboa-The area you are talking about is the area referred to as old Town in the guide I have. It sounds like fun. We are interested in that area and a visit to the Shanghai Museum and, of course, a stop for the Bund. It is just getting to town from the pier that is the problem!

Patty- the cruise line was where I went first. All they could tell me was the name of the pier-nothing about transportation into town. The tours that the ship is offerring do not go where we want. They are not offerring just a shuttle. Sometimes in Europe, the cities have had bus service into town center, but we don't ever know until we are almost to the port unless someone we know has been there before.

I have a quote from Gary Line for a car and driver, but it seems really high. So I am looking for other options before I book with them.
Sep 16th, 2004, 02:17 PM
cwn
Original Poster

Having read all the travel and health advisories put out by my gov't for the places we will visit, as anyone interested in this sort of information should(hopefully would) before planing a trip, I'm hoping some one will be able to help with information on taxis or other public transportation from the Gao Yang Pier in Shangahai to down town. This forum provides very helpful information on points of interest in Asia. Keep up the good information coming.
Sep 17th, 2004, 04:02 PM

http://www.talesofoldchina.com/maps/maproom1.cfm

This website has an interesting street map of Shanghai from 1945 (it is in English) as well as interesting articles about Shanghai. Some of the streets have been renamed, like Avenue Joffre is now HuaiHai Zhong Lu, but Chinese City is still "Old City" and the Bund is the Bund.