Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Tattoo's in Thailand (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/tattoos-in-thailand-672715/)

ScubaSusie Jan 22nd, 2007 02:18 PM

Tattoo's in Thailand

I am going to Chiang Mai and Phi Phi in March and was wondering if it was safe to get my first tattoo in Thailand? Any one ever done this? I am from the US so my standards of "sterile proceedures" might be more than some (I am also a nurse). Any thoughts on this idea you guys?
Thanks,
Susie

travelduo Jan 22nd, 2007 03:56 PM

Finally, a topic I can really talk about!!! I am curious to see Bobs reaction about this. My very good childhood friend is now one of the top tattoo artists in the country now, and has done about 40 hours worth of work on my back, with about 40 more to go. I was kind of nervous about meeting up with Bob at the Marriott pool because of what he might say about my tattoo as I DO NOT look like someone that would have a tattoo at all!!!!
Anyway, about your question Susie, it is perfectly safe if you do these few steps. First is to watch other people at the shop getting tattooed and see how the artist is keeping his work clean. Second and most important is that the needles need to come out of a sterile package, and you need to watch the guy get them out of the package. They come in the packages like you are used to seeing in your nursing profession. As you are watching the other people getting work done, make sure that after their tattoo is done that the artists breaks the needles and throws them away. I have seen the people doing tattoos at like the weekend market and I wouldnt touch them with a ten foot pole!!!!
If you follow those steps you should be fine. I also hope that you have something in mind that you want and not just pick something off the wall!
Judging by your screen name I am guessing you are diving in Phi Phi?? We dove off koh chang last year and had some good dives! hope this helps, Jeffrey

rhkkmk Jan 22nd, 2007 07:06 PM

OH MY GOD!!! haha

i love tattoo's if they are not on me or my kids...one son in law has one on his ankle---thank you asian booze...

jeffrey, it would make no difference to me, but what would DC say???

or is this april talking....?? haha

sharon1306 Jan 22nd, 2007 11:20 PM

I was actually going to ask the same question... Any recommended tattoo parlours in Chiang Mai/Bangkok?

travelduo Jan 23rd, 2007 05:07 AM

Yes bob its me jeffrey not april that has the back piece. April has a tiny one and she cried during the whole 2 hours she sat there!
Anyway, in bangkok you can check out bangkok tattoo studio, its in the big c department store, rajadamri branch. When you go make sure you see the book of pictures each artist should have to show off his work. That way you don't get someone who has the artistic talent of someone like me! The pics on the wall are just flash that they have bought and use as a stencil for the actual tattoo, so make sure you see pics of actual tattoos they have done.

rhkkmk Jan 23rd, 2007 06:52 PM

ok , jeffrey...is it mickey or minni??

ScubaSusie Jan 23rd, 2007 07:44 PM

You guys are nuts! :-)
Thanks for all the advise though. I have in mind what I want, I just need the courage to go thru with it!
How is the pricing in Chiang Mai compared to the States? Anyone know?
And yes, I will be doing a wee bit of diving in Phi Phi! Heard they saw a whale shark there a few days ago! Psych!
Susie

rhkkmk Jan 23rd, 2007 08:23 PM

just please pay some attention to the hygiene at what ever place you go to...

travelduo Jan 24th, 2007 06:23 AM

Actually my tattoo is mickey in a speedo, kind of reminds me of andy :)
In the US a minimum of one hour @ $50 an hour, but my friend blake charges $120 an hour. Other than some call girl services, I have never seen someone charge $100 an hour for services in bangkok, and no I have no personal experience in THAT area! So my guess is that it sould be much cheaper!

rhkkmk Jan 24th, 2007 08:23 AM

andy will be thrilled....i bet mickey looks better