Search

Taking Senior Citizens and Asthmatics to Tibet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking Senior Citizens and Asthmatics to Tibet

Anyone with an opinion on this issue?

We are planning a trip to Lhasa in Fall 08 (early planners) and mom (74 then), very fit and her friend (72, not so much) want to come.

Also, my sister and I have chronic asthma. We did well in Lijiang in the Himilayas at about 10,000, 11,000 feet. We are both athletic.
Has anyone with chronic asthma gone to Lhasa?

Thanks,

Lynnie
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 02:38 PM

Best idea is to check with your physicians.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Not to sound ungrateful but my doctor is not in his 70's, is not asthmatic and has never been to Tibet.

Any practical info out there?
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 10:51 PM
mjs

If your doctor has to match his or her patients like you suggest, he or she might have a very limited patient base.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 07:33 AM

mjs: You are right! Don't think docs in the US are allowed to do that.

Lynnie: You are not ungrateful, maybe it's time to change doctors? On personal health issues while traveling, it varies from person to person, no one knows one's health better than the doc and oneself. Traveling conditions come into play too, are you planning on getting to Lhasa by air or train? Staying in Lhasa only or going to other sites? I am in good shape and no asthma but had to stop below 10,000 feet on a recent trip in the US due to the sulphur from hot springs, made me green.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 05:57 PM
k

I'd really think about it if I were you. We were in Lhasa for a week this summer...flew in. My husband had a lot of trouble, he's relatively healthy but his medicated high blood pressure flared up. Remember just about everything you do in Lhasa requires lots of walking and uphill. Potala palace is incredibly taxing, even if you are in great shape. so too with the other monasteries. Neither of us have asthma, but we saw lots of people really sruggling with breathing. It is very hard work in the high altitude. We noticed a huge difference betwen Machu Picchu and Tibet..Tibet was much more difficult even though the altitude difference isn't that much. I do know the hotels have access to physicians and our hotel had oxygen too if people wanted or needed it. I took Gingko Bilboa and my husband took diamox. yes I saw older people there, but I'm trying to remember how many of them I saw in Potala palace...not many I don't think, and once you are up there you have to complete the circuit and go all the way through. My mom is about the same age and very fit. I don't think I'd take her.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 06:28 PM

I have only been recently diagnosed with asthma. But last fall when I first came down with breathing problems and was going to Switzerland, my pulmonary doc was specific in telling me not to go above a certain height. And I did notice the thin air when I went up the mountain. I would agree that your doctor should know this info....OTOH, if your asthma is under control and you have medication with you....

I just found the below linked article but haven't had time to read it - maybe it will help you...it is from a clinic in Kathmandu Nepal...

http://www.ciwec-clinic.com/altitude/alti2.html
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the practical advise. This is indeed going to take some thought. Maybe we will abandon Lhasa and take the silk road instead.