Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Taj Mahal Palace Hotel - Mumbai Bombay
Notices

Taj Mahal Palace Hotel - Mumbai Bombay

Jan 18th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Taj Mahal Palace Hotel - Mumbai Bombay

Basic question for people who know this hotel - if I book a Tower room (which is affordable for me at the moment0, do I have the same access to all the parts of the hotel property
as I would if I had a Palace room?

I plan to book a Tower room with a view of the sea. I have red widely that the Palace rooms are really amazing, the Tower rooms not - but not bad either - and I think I can still be happy and grateful to be staying in such a place but would ike to know how the two parts of the hotel
connect/don't connect.
Jan 19th, 2012, 12:51 AM

Yup. You can go anywhere.

So you damn well should for the vast and outrageous rates they charge. Be aware that, with the increased security, it's kinda like a prison for rich guys.
Jan 19th, 2012, 02:33 AM

hotels.tripzen.com/Mumbai/...kw=taj%20mahal%20palace%20mumbai%20india Great comp site here.You can go anywhere it is quite secure more like a fortress after all the terror attacks.
Still quite conspicuous review travel.state.gov insuremytrip.com www.otel.com many better 5 stars way cheaper safer.

Good luck!
Jan 20th, 2012, 02:49 AM

The Palace Wing rooms are indeed better, if we are to compare the two. The ocean views are great towards the evening...morning views are blinded by the sun reflecting on the water. From the tower wing the Gateway of India looks ugly as, from a height only the roof is visible.
Yes, the exclusive club lounge is accessible only to resident guests of the Palace Wing.
The meals and presentation is excellent in the Indian cuisine restaurant.
Enjoy your stay!
Feb 13th, 2012, 01:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, VP Singh - I have spent a week in a Tower room and been more than happy with everything - maybe it has to do with the floor you're on, but my view of the Gateway from floor 6 is lovely. I feel very lucky to have been able to stay here - at the moment when I booked, a room with breakfast cost less than almost any hotel in NY and about the same as a Holiday Inn in London in July. I'm in close walking distance for the workshop I came here to attend, which is important to me.

The security is managed with as much elan as possible - it's omnipresent but then the people are gentle. My main response to it is more empathetic with the hotel than anything else, for its having had to suffer the trauma it did and find a way to survive and take care of its guests. But an aspect of my own response probably has to do with my living in NY pretty close to our own trauma event.
Jul 7th, 2012, 11:56 PM

Hi there,

I just returned and stayed in Palace wing which was remarkably beautiful. But you can go throughout the hotel. Just know you're likely to be watched as security is quite tight. THe Tower wing does seem more commercial but will be worth it o stay in the stunning hotel.

I'm a TV News Reporter. Am reviewing my India trip. Tou'll find info and photos at www.ani-shah.com

Enjoy Mumbai x
Jul 9th, 2012, 07:22 AM

Yes indeed, if youre a guest at the Taj, you are welcome to it all!
I think too much is being made of the security. It isnt "excessive" or intrusive at all; and totally justified considering what happened there 4 years ago.
While youre at the hotel, may I suggest Sunday Brunch at their rooftop Medit/Mid-eastern restaurant called "Souk" and High Tea in the iconic Sea Lounge? Both are pre-fixe and great value-for-money in comparison with the a-la-carte prices!

Search this Thread