Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Help with directions in Chinese - any one that can read/write Chinese?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks, if there is anyone on this forum that can read and write Chinese - can you please help with this?

I am making a trip to Hong Kong, and have been advised to make and carry around a card for the hotel that I will be staying at - so that I can show this to the cab drivers in Hong Kong that may not speak English.

I created this text below using Google Translate from English to Simplified Chinese, but I have no idea if it came out correctly. Can someone verify that it has translated correctly?

Holiday Inn
HONG KONG-GOLDEN MILE
50 NATHAN RD, TSIMSHATSUI, KOWLOON
HONG KONG, 00000 CHINA

Near Tsim Sha Tsui MTR station

假日酒店
九龙,金域
弥敦道50号九龙尖沙咀
九龙,00000中国

靠近尖沙咀地铁站
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 11:36 PM

Hi - after many trips to HK we have never had to use a card with Chinese characters for well known hotels.

Perhaps you can get an accurate card from the hotel when you first arrive - their website indicates how to get there from the airport.

Our son has been studying in China for a couple of years and seems to think that they are not familiar with 'simplified Chinese' in HK.

Good luck!
It is a great place too visit.
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 01:50 AM

keshav, one certainly admires your effort. That said, the first response was correct: get a card from the hotel's front desk or concierge.

I do not read any Chinese characters, but I can tell you that the Chinese dialect generally spoken in Hong Kong is Cantonese, which is associated with Traditional Chinese rather than Simplified Chinese. Searching for Holiday Inn Golden Mile in Traditional Chinese (in Google), the Hotels.com site offers the following script for the Holiday Inn: 金域假日酒店
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Original Poster

Wow. Many thanks for the quick replies. I was figuring that I might need the card upon landing. But I believe I have figured out the MRT connections from the airport to the Tsim Sha Tsui MTR station - viz. only 1 connection at Kowloon.

Also I am given to understand that around the airport English is no problem at all.

Many thanks for the replies. I wish I could travel more and participate in these forums more.
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 03:18 AM

Signage at the airport and on all public transport in Hong Kong is in English (and Chinese). The fare card machines are in English. Pesonnel at information booths and ticket booths speak English. You will have no trouble finding an English speaker if for some reason you get lost on the Airport Express or the subway or in the street.

In some cases it is helpful to have a card with the hotel written on it in Chinese for taxi drivers; but your hotel is long-established and quite well known so I don't think you would have trouble in any event. The hotel will give you a card to use. Generally the level of English of taxi drivers here is pretty good.

Here by the way is the Chinese version of the address from the hotel's own Chinese website:
香港金域假日酒店
九龙尖沙咀弥敦道50号

I left off the "Hong Kong China" part as that will be obvious to a taxi driver. The "0000" also is meanlingless, we don't have zip codes or postal number codes, that is in the website address because other countries use them and they needed to fill the space, so they added zeros. You probably could just use the name of the hotel, 香港金域假日酒店and would be fine.
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 06:20 AM

Even in Hong Kong, it is always an excellent idea to have any taxi destination written down to show your driver.

Not all drivers even know the hotels as evidenced by our first two drivers not understanding "Intercontinental" two weeks ago. The first driver finally got it. The second was clever: made a phone call and had me speak the name to someone who then told him where.
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 06:25 AM

The Holiday Inn in Kowloon is right in the midst of other major hotels such as the Hyatt, the Peninsula, and the Sheraton, so I think most taxi drivers already know its location. I don't think you need to worry too much and just get their card after arrival.
Have a wonderful trip.
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 08:22 AM

In Traditional Chinese:

香港金域假日酒店
九龍尖沙咀彌敦道50号

But Cicerone is right, just the name of the hotel is fine. The HI has been there for 40 years.

The lobby entrance is actually on the side street, Mody Road (麼地道).
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 08:29 AM

The not infrequent communication problems with Hong Kong taxi drivers, increasing to some degree as the jobs are taken over by immigrant mainlanders, are well documented. But when leaving your hotel someone will always take care of telling the driver where you want to go, and the hotel's card will get you back. In between simply point out your destination on your (free, available everywhere) bi-lingual map so the driver can read the characters, if at first he doesn't understand). By the way, note the difference between Hong Kong Island and Kowloon taxis, and the differing costs of taking them cross-harbour. Where possible you want to take a taxi that's crossing back to its 'home' side of the water, rather than, say, taking a Kowloon taxi to the Island side and paying double the tunnel toll. At major ranks there are separate lines for Island and Kowloon-side taxis. Get someone to explain when you're there.

Note, too, that on arrival, as you pass from air-side to land-side, you'll find a desk of the HKTB which will load you with any information you want and happily write down anything in Chinese you might like.

Unless you just want simplicity at any price, consider the Airport Express which leaves conveniently from immediately across the concourse. It's an enjoyable way to enter Hong Kong (especially for a five-year-old), and there's a free shuttle bus the short distance directly to your hotel from Kowloon Station (service K3, every 12 mins from 06.12 to 23.12). There are porters to help you at the station if needed. A lot cheaper, too. And if returning this way, then with most airlines you can check your baggage at Kowloon Station, reducing airport hassle overall.

Peter N-H
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 08:40 AM

keshav - There's no easy MTR connection from airport to Tsimshatsui. You need to take the S1 bus to Tung Chung, then Tung Chung line to Lai King, and then Tuen Wan line to Tsim Sha Tsui.

From the airport, the only train service is the Airport Express, which you can take to Kowloon, and then switch to the free shuttle bus like Peter says.

If you want an easy and economical way to get from airport to the HI, take the Cityflyer bus A21. HK$33. Get off at Stop #14 "Middle Road, Nathan Road". Walk back for about 50 yards to the HI. No street to cross.

https://www.nwstbus.com.hk/routes/ro...exactMatch=yes
Old Oct 17th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

What an awesome forum - the most helpful set of people anywhere on the internet! And I should know - I live on the internet.

Many thanks, all!
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 03:47 PM

HK Cabbies should be able to speak English as HK was a former British colony.

Your hotel will have a translated card for you to take when you leave your room.

As for translation:

香港 = Hong Kong
金域假日酒店 = Golden Mile Hotel
九龙 = Kowloon
尖沙咀弥敦道50号 = Tsim Tsa Tsui Nathan Road # 50