summer 2005..where to go in Asia?

Feb 1st, 2005, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

summer 2005..where to go in Asia?

I'd love to go somewhere in Asia this summer. I'd like to know which part or country of asia is at it's best in summer. For example, I heard India is very hot and not good to travel there in summer. Which destination is nice to visit in summer. I've been last christmas in Malaysia and loved it. Vietnam is also where I'd love to go to. But if you know any other destination, it doesn't have to be in SE Asia, it also can be China or whatever
Feb 1st, 2005, 03:27 PM

What dates are you considering?
Feb 1st, 2005, 04:12 PM

How about Mongolia?

In July highs are in the low 70s (higher in the Gobi) and lows are in the low 50s.

I copied this from an earlier post of mine:

I'll be leaving late June and spending a couple days at The Great Wall, hiking along the less developed areas and even staying overnight in one of the Great Wall watch towers. This is a government-approved and sponsored activity, I'm not just planning on camping out there.

I'll take the 30-hour train from Beijing to UlaanBaatar, Mongolia.

Mongolia activities include:
Museums and monasteries
The Gobi Desert
Lake Huvsgal
Altai Mountains and Kazakh eagle hunters
Karakhorum & Hustai Reserve with takhi horses
Naadam Festival

Many nights in traditional gers.

Enjoy your stay in Asia, wherever you end up.
Feb 1st, 2005, 04:59 PM
stjohnbound

I'm sorry to stray away from your original posting but I was wondering where in Malaysia you went? I'm going there soon and am finding very little first-hand information.

Feb 1st, 2005, 05:34 PM

Well it's going to be hot in most places unless you go far far north. What about Thailand ? Head up to Northern Thailand and then spend time around the Gulf of Thailand where it is less hot and nice cooling breezes. There's a lot of choice, depends how you want to spned your time, what you want to see and do.
Feb 1st, 2005, 08:57 PM

I also think Mongolia is a wonderful idea for a summer trip in Asia! I'm surprised more people don't mention Mongolia on this forum. I really think it's one of the most amazing places in Asia. Summer is the very best season to visit.

I was in Vietnam one August. Fine to travel there in the summer and you'll just get a few short showers and then sunshine the rest of the time. Southern India (Kerala)was like this too in July/August and actually a pretty good time to travel there with all the off-season discounts. Vietnam was very hot and humid, India much less so. Mongolia had gorgeous weather and huge blue skies.
Feb 1st, 2005, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your replies. Mongolia sounds interesting, and I think it will be an exciting destination for me. I will take a look on the net now how to spend my days there. I think Mongola can be combined easily with China?

Stjohnbound, I've been a week on the island of Langkawi. It's quite touristic and it was so busy during Christmas period. But most tourist(especially the sun-sea-beach tourists) stay in their hotel all the time. I didn't and I rented a car which is an excellent idea. I discovered a couple lovely unspoilt beaches where nobody was. I love Langkawi, it was my second time. It's not a party island but very quiet and peaceful. Taxi's are also very cheap so on other days I just took a cab. I stayed at the Datai, really amazing hotel, one of the best of Malaysia.

Next destination was Penang, very popular holiday island. Batu Ferringhi very busy with all the tourists. Best part of Penang is the capital Georgetown, a more authentic city and almost no tourists when I was there. You have special 'towns' there, China Town but also India Town(or how they call it). It's very interesting. I took a riksja late in the evening and the driver drove to the most beautiful parts to the city and also to Chines houses built on the water. Penang is nice, but you shouldn't go to Batu Ferringhi. It's too touristis there, the beaches are not special and Georgetown is far more interesting.

Last stop was Kuala Lumpur. I stayed at the Ritz Carlton which is an excellent hotel. Kuala Lumpur is a busy city and I was amazed again(it was my second time there). If you go to Malaysia don't skip Kuala Lumpur. It's really worth it. I could easily spend a week there. If you go to Kuala Lumpur, you really should eat at EEST, a restaurant in the Westin. It's (for Malay standards) quite pricey but really worth it.
Feb 2nd, 2005, 02:40 AM

Anywhere in the north should be good - China, Japan, Korea, Mongolia are all good options - it just boils down to exactly what you would like to do.
Feb 2nd, 2005, 04:56 AM

You could also go to Bali. It will be hot but not hotter than at any other time of the year.
Feb 3rd, 2005, 06:47 PM

Most of Asia would be simmering in summer and a lot does depend on your actual travel dates, time & budget.

If you are getting a good deal on your air tkts on a multiple destination itinerary, then you must strongly consider the options.

So for a change I would love to make a spicy juicy cocktail for you which could whip up the heat for a cool trip.

Your itinerary could be Beijing-Ulan Bator-Beijing (transit)-Bangkok (transit)-Angkor Wat (Cambodia)- and finally the southern tip of India -Kerala where if your timing is right, you could witness the dawn of the monsoons as they swing & dance their way into the Indian sub-continent)

I am sure that the writer or photographer in you will wake up if you eventually did the above itinerary.

With Tequila Sunrises !
rickshawdriver