Suma Palace Hotel in Delhi

Sep 25th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Suma Palace Hotel in Delhi

Has anyone heard anything about this hotel? The prices of REASONABLE rooms in Delhi seem to have skyrocketed since most of the posts I've read were written -- at any rate, I can't get anything like the prices that people have assured me were available at the one-and-two-star (one one-star hotel wanted sixty US dollars a night for a room!). The Suma Palace is one-star, but a long way down from sixty US dollars. Is it habitable?

Thanks for all advice.
Sep 27th, 2004, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Topping before this one dies without a reply!
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:06 PM

Hi Alan... have not heard about it, but if u can supply me with a few more details (eg tel no or address) - I can go and have a look and let you know
Sep 27th, 2004, 11:19 PM
Original Poster

Hi, debub!

That's a great offer, but I wouldn't want to put you to any trouble. The address is 5/12 WEA, Saraswathi Marg, Karol Bagh, New Delhi-5 . Is that close to where you are?

Thanks for the offer!
Sep 29th, 2004, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

I guess I should also mention that they are offering a clean double room with bath for $US15 a night... so I don't expect the Marriott!
Oct 1st, 2004, 12:02 AM

I am sure that it will not be the Marriott , as I know the area the hotel is situated in. Let me go n have a look - when r u travelling... are u open to other options ? I will need about 3 -4 days to get back to you on this.. and no sweat - no trouble at all
Oct 1st, 2004, 12:18 AM
Original Poster

Debub, we leave in two weeks (for Mumbai... then on to Delhi, arriving October 25 at the Suma Palace). Lots of other budget options (e.g. Sunny Guest House), but this one was certainly good value for what the proprietor CLAIMS we will get.... clean double, private bath, nicer asnd safer area than around the station, etc.

I would love you to have a look for us, as long as this does not take you out of your way. Actually, I was bold enough to say to them that "a friend in Delhi" was going to check them out for me....
so if you actually get around to poking your head in the door, do mention to them that you are doing this for "Alan from Sydney, who arrives on the 25th".... if they think I know someone who lives in the area, they may just re-allocate me from the pest-hole they had planned for me to that swank room on the top floor which they usually keep for visiting royalty!

I really do appreciate you doing this for me... rest assured that if you come to Sydney, Australia, I will return the favour.
Dec 21st, 2004, 03:16 AM

Hey Alan - sorry about not being able to fulfill my offer, I was travelling on some urgent office work to Bombay n bangalore... hope that u had a nice trip
Dec 21st, 2004, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

That's okay, Debub, we took it without your appraisal, and it was quite satisfactory for $15 a night. On arrival they were very nice to us, with a cup of marsala tea waiting for us, and the room looked extraordinary value for money, with air-conditioner, attached bathroom, TV, and frig. We were effusive in our praise.

But after that we needed the sense of humour that EVERYONE should pack first if they're going to India. The frig (which had been stocked with mineral water)never worked. The hot water never worked, either. The toilet seat just sort of sat there on the pedestal. The air conditioner worked extremely well -- in fact, it sounded like a helicopter and the room was COLD! So we looked at the controls, and turned it down to "whisper quiet", which means it now sounded like a motor mower, and was just as cold. So we turned it off: big mistake, as, try as we might, we could never get it started up again.

The TV set worked just fine.

So, we feel that we got our fifteen dollars worth. The marsala tea, in particular, was deligthful, and our internet agent, who had initially offered the room to us, ordered more of the same when he came to check up on us to see if we were happy (we were, and impressed that he took the trouble to come in).

All five cups of marsala tea got added to the bill at the end.

See what I mean about a sense of humour?