Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Suggestions required-Vietnam (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/suggestions-required-vietnam-189170/)

Sue Scott Sep 13th, 2001 08:30 AM

Suggestions required-Vietnam

We will be travelling to Vietnam in Dec/Jan and would appreciate any suggestions regarding iternaries. We like our comforts at budget prices- any suggestions. What are your 5 highlites? <BR>Thanks Sue

Mary Anne Cook Sep 13th, 2001 11:27 AM

Last February my friend and I traveled from Cambodia into Vietnam. We arrived in Saigon where we were met by a car and driver. These people do customized tour and will do it as you wish. .Their:website is www.indochinatours.com <BR>After a few days Saigon we traveled to Cantho on the Mekong which was a favorite of mine. Back to Saigon to fly to Danang where we went by car to Hoi An which is a delightful place. Left there by four wheel drive to Hue. Wish I could travel through Hai Von pass again as it was rainy weather on our drive. After a few days in Hue(a trip down the Perfume River which is unforgettable) went up to the DMZ. These roads are very rough in this are, but so impressed after going through the Du Moc tunnels and understanding what these people have endured as well as our own guys. Flew out of Hue to Hanoi which is one of the most beautiful cities in Asia. I was so impressed will be back this year adding some places I did not go such as Dalat and Tay Ninh and on to Laos. This is a wonderful country with people you will never forget. <BR>Hotel in Saigon: Asian,but at Kim do this Feb. <BR>Cantho :Ninh Kieu <BR>Hoi An: Vinh Hung <BR>Hue: Century-most modern <BR>Hanoi:Royal. nice hotel <BR>,but would probably stay at Galaxy because of noise of motor vehicles in early morning.We had 3 guides that were the best. It adds so much to know what you are seeing and to understand the background of the country. All speak very good English. <BR>Email me if I can help further.Total trip in Vietnam 2 weeks <BR>

Mickey Sep 14th, 2001 10:58 AM

I am trying to decide between Mekong delta, and the city area in Siagon. Any opinions? I am not really interested in the war remnants. Thanks,

Mary Anne Cook Sep 14th, 2001 03:25 PM

If you enjoy a big, busy city you will like Saigon. If you enjoy a small town more rural area you will like the Mekong. Just to go down the Mekong to see the floating markets is amazing-the way the people depend on the river for everything. One thing I enjoyed in Cantho is people come out in the town square and just sit and talk by the river. There is a university there as well as universities in Saigon where there are many young people who want to practice their English and hear about the US. You could easily spend a few days in Saigon and a few days in Cantho. You would gain a different prespective of the country.

thaiot Jan 31st, 2006 12:31 AM

A question for Mary Anne Cook . . . who did you use as a tour guide around the DMZ? I am going to be there (female single traveler) and would really like a local to show me around. Any help would be great! Thanks

maryanne1 Jan 31st, 2006 09:38 AM

I see you have the question for me. When I was there you had to have a Vietnamese guide that the country tourism provides so our regular guide through IndoChina Services was not able to do this. Go to one of the Vietnamese tour agency and I am sure they will have a guide for you. If you go to the DMZ be sure you are taken through the Duc Moc tunnels where the people lived during the war.
What an eye opening experience!!