Reload this Page >

Suggestions on where to stay in Koya-San for family of 4

Old Mar 25th, 2023, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
We have 18 days in Japan towards the end of Sept/beginning of October and would like to spend a night in Koya-San. There are 4 of us - 2 adults and 2 teenages, aged 13 and 15. Any recommendations?
Thanks
Old Mar 26th, 2023, 12:55 AM

We stayed at Eko-in and loved it. The vegetarian food was incredible even for me, a confirmed carnivore. It is close to Okonoin cemetery so we did a nighttime walk there as well as exploring the next day. Part of the deal is to attend the morning service at 06:30 am , an incredible experience. I think I probably wrote a trip report here but it was a long time ago.
Old Mar 26th, 2023, 04:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do not pick Rengejo-in. There was a tour group staying there when I was there, which ruined the atmosphere, and they had no idea how to behave during meditation. Also, the food was served cold, and with the Japanese guests separated from the foreigners. We were also treated to a discursive lecture on American behavior after WWII, I couldn't decode whether it was positive or negative.

crellston - I met a couple who were staying at Eko-in, and they weren't too happy, but I think it was mostly because there was no heater in their room.
Old Mar 26th, 2023, 06:07 AM

What can I say? We found it a very positive experience. If I were to return to Koyasan, which admittedly unlikely, I would likely stay there again. As I recall we had a heater in our room as I recall, so no problems on that score. If we hadn't , I would have asked for one and I am confident one would have been provided. The young monks looking after us really seemed to enjoy their work.

As for the segregation of Japanese and foreign guests, I don't think we met many other guests of any nationality. The segregation thing does not surprise me though. As alluded to in another post here, we experienced numerous examples of Japanese xenophobia during our brief travels there. Also, some examples of extreme friendliness . As you say in the US "go figure"
Old Mar 26th, 2023, 12:42 PM

Just wondering if your teens are up for this, if they are then it will be a great experience. Looking back for myself at that age, if my parents asked me if I wanted to stay overnight at a Buddhist temple, eat vegetarian monk fare and meditate, that would be a hard no.
Old Mar 26th, 2023, 10:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll have a look for the trip report. I am keen for something close to the cemetery and a night walk.

Yes, there is some debate about going there.