Suggestions on Bangkok airport hotel...

May 24th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Suggestions on Bangkok airport hotel...

We will be flying in from Luang Prabang in the early evening and leaving for Hong Kong (and home) the next morning.

We'd like to stay as close to the airport as possible to make the transition the next morning easy.

We will have already spend 5 nights in BK at this juncture so it's not necesary to go back to the city.

I looked at Sawadee.com for airport locations and saw "nearby Don Muang" and "nearby Suvarnabhumi"
which I didn't understand.

Can anyone suggest a nearby airport hotel?
In the $100. pricerange

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!!
May 24th, 2008, 10:53 AM

jasper, there's 2 airports in Bangkok. Don Muang (the old airport) services mostly domestic flights with budget carriers (One Two Go, etc.) and the new airport is Suvarnabhumi (pronounced Soo-wanna-poom)) where your flights will definitely be if you're coming from LP and going out to HK.

If that's the case, there's really only one place to stay and that's the Novotel Suvarnabhumi. It's literally a stone's throw from the entrance to the airport.

Since Suvarnabhumi is kinda of in the middle of nowhere, I would recommend just staying there even though it's a bit overpriced. BTW--it does get very good reviews though.

May 24th, 2008, 11:29 AM

Filmwill is right. I'm going to have one night there (arriving at midnight, leaving at 8 am) on our upcoming trip. In checking prices at various places, I found the best (pre-paid) price for my dates on the Novotel website. Agoda advertises prices from US$100, but that's for a 4 hour block daytime use... And for my dates sawadee wasn't booking due to the rates at the Novotel "changing hourly." So check out the various websites and see where you can find the best price.
May 24th, 2008, 11:54 AM

i've stayed at the novotel. very nice property. do not, do not eat in the chinese restaurant. bad food. the lobby buffet is much better.
May 24th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Perfect...the Novotel it is and skip the hotel buffet!!
May 24th, 2008, 01:05 PM

I've seen rates around the 'from' $98 for Novotel but as Kathie says they appear to be for a short 4 hour stay, it is the most ideal but it is pretty expensive for an overnight stop.
More have opened in the area,

http://www.asiaoz.com/bangkok_airport_hotels.html lists those near the airport and notes those with either one way of round-trip 'free transfers', Queen's Garden offer free pick-up but you need to taxi back, about $30 a night, gets ok reviews.

The Grand Inn Come offers free roundtrip, $60, deluxe $ 85, with breakfast and the free transfer appears to be every 30 minutes, transfer quoted on one reviews as 6-7 minutes only between airport and the hotel, ok reviews, ( someone 'moans' about transfer van waiting 10 minutes for other passengers - wow ! ) recent ones:
http://www.r24.org/asiaoz.com/bangko...nncome/review/
We booked some business clients from Japan who were visiting us there and leaving on a very early flight, I did not get any feedback but they are visiting again getting in around midnight and they asked us to arrange for them to stay overnight ' at the same hotel as last time' so from that I pressume they must have been satisfied.
May 24th, 2008, 01:10 PM

Overnight at Novotel appears to be in the $180+ range.
May 24th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Yes....I just returned from that sight....
I really don't want to spend that much for a night at the airport....
any other suggestions?
May 24th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Hi again,
Sorry....I posted before I had read you're post James.

Thanks....I'll check out your links
May 24th, 2008, 01:19 PM

On that same site under 'last minute' last minute hotel rooms available they have Novotel at US$178 overnight if it is within the next 28 days, which is quite a good rate, but only bookable if available within the next 28 nights.
Forget their direct link for the Novotel as that only has those from $98 and then higher rates, if you choose Novotel and it is within 28 days $178 all-in on ther 'last minute' deal seems good.
May 24th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

$178. is really more than we want to spend for 1 night...

I went to the Grand Inn Come said for a double on February 4 for one night it's approx $60. !!

That's sure reasonable....

One thing I've found in making hotel reservatons is that many want a 50% deposit up front. I don't like doing that so far in advance (end of January trip) but I guess you don't have any choice. (Siam heritage in BKK, Angkor Village Hotel in Seim Reap)
One good thing is that a lot of your trip is paid for before you even leave... HA!

May 24th, 2008, 01:34 PM

If it's for Feb 2009 I honestly would not bother at the moment, now for high season somewhere like Angkor that is different, you want to ensure you have the place you want, but for a 1 nighter overnight near Bangkok Airport I would leave it until like at least October without any worry about not getting a room, or even later, new places open, could be a whole new ballgame by them.
I would not hassle paying now for a room at the airport for 1 night in Feb next year ( they normaly charge 1 night deposit and balance 2 weeks ahead, but if you are only booking 1 night, well ).
May 24th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

OK~! I like that suggestions.
I'll bookmarke the hotel though as it seems like a good place to stay when the time comes.
May 24th, 2008, 07:04 PM

Kathie, have you finalized your trip?? Where (and when) are you guys going??

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread--but I must know
May 24th, 2008, 07:34 PM

Yes, we have finalized our trip. We're going the end of October/beginning of November. We'll fly into Bangkok and get up the next morning and fly to Kathmandu. We'll have eight nights in Kathmandu, then return to Bangkok for eight nights. i was last in Nepal in 1994, and I'm interested to see what has/hasn't changed. Cheryl hasn't been to Nepal, and is ready to take lots of photos (she just bought another new camera). You will, of course, get a full report here on Fodors.
May 24th, 2008, 10:19 PM

How exciting. We plan to get there one day as well. That'll have to come after India, Japan, Bali, Malyasia, and, of course, Bhutan.

So many trips, so little time

Congrats--wish, of course, we were overlapping in BKK. But, alas, it's not in the cards again this year. Some day soon...
May 25th, 2008, 07:06 AM

Yes, it would be fun to overlap in BKK.

Perhaps you could host a GTG in LA... and invite AO of course.
May 25th, 2008, 09:55 AM

I was just in Thailand at the beginning of April and had the same transit issue. I spen two nights at the Thong Ta Resort. I paid 1100 Thai Bhat per night appox USD35 and it included round trip transportation from Suvarnbhunmi. The hotel itself is very clean and safe, and the people who run it very nice. You can get a few food items from the hotel or there are local bars/restuarants down the street. I felt very comfortable as a single female traveller. Google "Thong Ta Resort" for bookings. If I remember correctly the actual email address is siammotel or something to that effect.
Cheers,
Vikinggirl18
May 25th, 2008, 03:11 PM

Jasper, I was just looking at rates at the Novotel for our one-night stay in October. The Novotel website had by far the best rates. If you are willing to pay by credit card upfront, (no changes, no refund for cancellation) you can get it for 3400++ baht. Agoda shows the same deal at $141++, a much higher rate.

The Novotel website also had a promotional rate which includes breakfast (breakfast price otherwise is 430++ baht per person) for 4440++ baht. This is a changeable, refundable rate which just requires a credit card guarantee.

As others have noted, there are cheaper options nearby, but the Novotel is by far the most convenient. It just depends on what you are looking for.
May 25th, 2008, 03:43 PM

Caution: I just went back to the Novotel website to book the room and the prices were entirely different - much higher. So if you see a rate you like - take it. I didn't book today, but I'll go back and book when I find a better rate again. I now know why sawadee says it doesn't book the hotel because the rates change constantly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO