Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Suggestions for remaining time in Thailand
Notices

Suggestions for remaining time in Thailand

Jan 10th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Suggestions for remaining time in Thailand

Hi! We are eagerly planning time in Thailand for December 2015. Our schedule is fixed arriving in Thailand Dec 6 and departing Dec 29. We have tentatively decided on the first 3 nights in Chiang Rai, the next 6 in Chiang Mai, and the last 5 nights in Bangkok ( Dec 24-29). We have about 9 nights left and would prefer to split this up into two places. We prefer to stay in Thailand in order to give us ample time to explore Thailand without venturing to other countries close by ( we will save those for another time). This will be our first time in Thailand... Our interests tend more towards temples, ruins, some hiking, and unique experiences rather than beach time and shopping ( a very small amount would be OK though).
I am leaning towards a few days in Krabi but am unsure where else we should consider. Any thoughts or suggestions on our remaining time would be truly appreciated.
Jan 10th, 2015, 12:04 PM

What first comes to mind is a side trip to Cambodia to visit the Temples of Angkor, but you want to stay in Thailand... So how about a few days at Sukhothai?

Krabi is a fine beach destination, but it will be both crowded and expensive at that time of the year. If you want beach time, you might be best off going to a beach first to avoid the busiest, most expensive time at the beach. You might consider Khoa Lak. which is less busy.

Are you planning on staying at the Anantara in the Golden Triangle? If you are, I'd add another day to two there.
Jan 10th, 2015, 02:01 PM

I prefer khao lak to krabi, which to me rates about a 2

Search this Thread