Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Suggestions for Bali Group Tours?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/suggestions-for-bali-group-tours-936514/)

cutiepie32685 May 25th, 2012 11:38 AM

Suggestions for Bali Group Tours??

I'm looking for a safe, cost-efficient, reliable company that offers group tours around Bali. I am a 27-year-old female, and will likely be traveling alone, which is why I'd like to find a safe group to travel with! I am dying to go -- any suggestions / feedback would be much appreciated!

Kathie May 25th, 2012 11:57 AM

You can take a group tour if you'd like. But Bali is a remarkably safe destination, and I'd recommend that you simply hire a car and driver and visit the places that interest you most. Your hotel can recommend someone, or Putu is often recommended here - do a search for his contact information.

rhkkmk May 25th, 2012 12:21 PM

private cars only cost about $40-50 per day...its the way to go

kuluk May 26th, 2012 08:02 PM

Group tours are the anti-Bali experience. Private cars and drivers are a much better way to go, because the drivers work only for you, not the tour company which may have their own "agenda" meaning they want to go to certain stops that they have a relationship with but that you have no interest in.

I would say that a very good percentage of visitors to Bali come by themselves and have a wonderful time, meeting new friends, both Indonesian and foreign. Ubud is a great place to base yourself if you are interested in culture and traditions rather than beaches, but Bali is big and diverse enough that you can probably find anywhere that suits you.

I would NOT book a driver in advance. There are literally thousands of very good drivers you will meet in Bali, and you talk to them, see if you like their personality, check out their car, discuss trip details and negotiate price and away you go. And if for some reason they don't suit you, you have no obligation to use them for any more than you have already agreed. Also, it's MUCH better to use a driver who lives and is based near where you are staying so as not to waste time and money in his commute to where you are.

carobb May 26th, 2012 11:36 PM

We did a nine day tour with Intrepid and then three weeks on our own. The Intrepid tour was a good introduction to the country and the guides and tour leader were really great. Quite a few one night stays though, but fine if you don't mind that. It might be a good option if you'd like some travel companions. G adventures is a similair type of company I think.

StanKase May 28th, 2012 05:02 AM

The only one I heard less than positive feedback about was Bali Holidays. But I never took one.Kuluk is on the mark on this one. A private guide at $60-$65 for a 10 hour day is your best bet. One acquantenance took a guide who took them atound and stayed at 3 different locations i.e. West Bali for a day each to get a real feel of each area. The guide might charge you $20-$25USD to cover there own lodging and food because they do not return home each night from the touring.

bombayteddy May 29th, 2012 03:59 AM

I would heartily recommend Bali Discovery Tours for anything and everything in Bali. They can book hotels, guided tours, arrange for drivers, transfers, the works. Its run by an American called Jack Daniels (!) and his team is English-speaking and very professional. He has been in Bali for at least 20 years and is a mine of information!

fahaduae Apr 26th, 2013 03:16 AM

I'm travelling to Bali on 9th May 2013 for adventure tour. Anyone want to company me?