Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Street Food Tour in Bangkok, any recommendations?

May 11th, 2019, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
I have never done a food tour and would like to know if others have done this in Bangkok and if they have recommendations for specific person or tour.
J
May 11th, 2019, 03:10 PM

We did this one 5 years ago and loved it. And ate plenty!!

https://www.bangkokfoodtours.com/ban...-walking-tour/
May 11th, 2019, 05:42 PM

Dwight and Panisha give food tours in Bangkok. They’re friends of Mark Wiens and his wife and have traveled together and done food videos together.

https://www.airbnb.com/experiences/1...d-3242816fa16f

https://www.airbnb.com/experiences/4...a-f14b91741d03

Happy Travels!
May 12th, 2019, 09:50 AM

While in Bangkok check out some of the food courts. Below food court is at Terminal 21 Mall. (Nearby is a stop for the Skytrain and subway.)

Terminal 21 Food Court - Bangkok.com Magazine

When out and about always think safety. Have some moist wet-wipes to clean your hands off before touching food you eat. This will lessen food borne stomach problems. There are some cooking schools available too. Geared to visiting tourists.

Good luck.
May 13th, 2019, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by juliajane View Post
Hi,
I have never done a food tour and would like to know if others have done this in Bangkok and if they have recommendations for specific person or tour.
J
I have been to Bangkok 10 times but have never eaten at street stalls. If you want to try out some local food, I suggest you try them out in food court of large shopping malls.
May 13th, 2019, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

is it risky? When we were in India we never ate street food as we were told not to. Is this the same in bangkok?
J
May 13th, 2019, 04:59 AM

I only eat a few things from street vendors. At my age I don't need to experiment with stuff that stinks, looks disgusting, has raw blood in it, out in the street with fly poop, dust and no refrigeration for who knows how long!

Some tourists love street food and blow about it all the time! I like my "cooks" to have running water to wash hands and plates off. Some vendors with a good turnover might be okay to sample. I am real careful with what I eat. Counting my military time overseas I have been in and out of Asia pretty often for well over 30 plus years. I do eat a lot of fried rice but I don't eat to experiment just to survive. I don't mind the fried bananas and some of the fried pastries but everything within reason. I like some of the pork with rice and greens. But with the boiled pork I ask for pieces with the greasy fat removed! (I take the meal with me and kill it some more in a microwave!)

So, is it risky? Depends! A vendor with simple food with a good turnover might be worth a sample. My opinion, food prep Thailand has to be better than India!

Remember when touching food you will eat - clean hands off first! Don't transfer crap on your hands to the food you eat!

** Food courts have bathrooms to wash up in, they are air conditioned, have seats and best of all the cooks usually have running water to clean hands and utensils with!

Good luck.

Last edited by SirHalberd; May 13th, 2019 at 05:04 AM.
May 18th, 2019, 06:04 AM

Nowhere is completely safe from dodgy hygiene......my worst experience have all come after eating in so-called decent restaurants.

Common sense rules....don't sit down at the first one you arrive at, and have a good look at how the Operator works. Choosing busy street stalls is usually a good sign too.....choosing an empty one definitely isn't.
May 18th, 2019, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by juliajane View Post
is it risky? When we were in India we never ate street food as we were told not to. Is this the same in bangkok?
J
Malaysia saw a huge drop in the incidence of food borne illnesses when the street vendors were moved to indoor food courts where hygiene could be monitored and there were far better sanitary conditions.

You can get ill at so called fine dining restaurants too but your chances are far less.

Actually as food is not too expensive in Bangkok why would you want to risk it?

May 19th, 2019, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by jacketwatch View Post
Malaysia saw a huge drop in the incidence of food borne illnesses when the street vendors were moved to indoor food courts where hygiene could be monitored and there were far better sanitary conditions.
Well run Street Food set-ups will always be hygienic though. It just takes a bit of common sense to work out where you intend eating is well-run and hygienic.

Originally Posted by jacketwatch View Post
You can get ill at so called fine dining restaurants too but your chances are far less.
Providing you use common sense the chances of food poisoning at a Street Food stall are practically nil. The complete set-up is all there before your eyes. And if the stall is busy, that's all the recommendation you need.

How often does any diner get to go round the kitchen of a restaurant, look in the fridges and freezers, check general hygiene? A quick look at the rest-room hygiene before sitting at a table ain't a bad start.

May 19th, 2019, 03:33 AM

Having been afflicted with typhoid fever in India(worst illness of my life) and then my wife hospitalized 5 days for a gi bug from India we will pass on street food.

"Well run Street Food set-ups will always be hygienic though." I disagree. To say always is just not possible. In any case to each their own.

Cheers.
May 19th, 2019, 04:51 AM

Last edited by jacketwatch; May 19th, 2019 at 04:54 AM.
May 19th, 2019, 10:55 AM

Lol....That'd scare the living daylights out of anybody....or rather, anybody who lacked any common sense.

A bit of a 'snowflakes' dream.
May 19th, 2019, 11:59 AM

“Common sense” doesn’t tell you how food has been prepared or stored nor does a quick look at a bathroom. I think there’s more to it but again to each their own.

Last edited by jacketwatch; May 19th, 2019 at 12:03 PM.