Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Stopover Europe on Way to India (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/stopover-europe-on-way-to-india-864794/)

sfmaster Oct 29th, 2010 12:59 PM

Stopover Europe on Way to India

I know I've read posts about this before but my searches aren't yielding much fruit.

I'd like to hear recent thoughts about stopping in Europe on way to India vs pushing through.

In the past we've gone in winter so stop in Europe is very complicated in terms of packing weather/clothes etc. But now we're planning a trip in June so that changes thing - both in terms of weather as well as school vacation being much longer. I am SAHM so I could be on the road as long as I want - but have to think of fatigue.

We want to maximize Delta status/miles so that mostly puts me through Amsterdam and really mostly through Paris.

I'd like to here thoughts about stopping outbound vs return. I think outbound better (ease into vacation before seeing family) but there may be some pressure to get to India ASAP (to get to Himalyas before monsoon) so best option for stopover might be on return.

Kids are little 10, 7, 4 (at time of travel) so their patience is not endless. I desire to stop in Paris or London on way home but after 3 weeks in India they might certainly make me regret it. I think on way to India -there would be benefits of getting into vacation mode and adjusting to time changes on the way.

Thanks for any recent thoughts/experiences.

Jaya Oct 29th, 2010 04:00 PM

We travel non-stop from Newark to New Delhi. Even though it's about 14 hours, we find it much more tolerable than having a stopover at some European airport where you just feel like a zombie roaming the terminal because it's 3am according to your body clock.

The clothing difference is another issue. In the end, we found it not worthwhile to try to do Europe AND India. The kids did better on the non-stop because they can just sleep without the interruption of landing and taking off in Europe. The other advantage is you don't have to go through security to re-board in Europe.

I like getting on in the US and then not getting off again until Delhi.

sfmaster Oct 29th, 2010 04:35 PM

We're set to fly into Delhi on the way too India. And we are flying from ATL - so maybe it's ok to go through Chicago or Newark (so while direct is intriguing it is still a flight for us to get there) and get a non stop - miles issues aside (sigh) but on the way home we'd rather go out of BLR (bangalore) which has no non-stop options. Or maybe to BOM but we'd be done with Delhi.

Thanks for thoughts though - i always wonder if better to let the kids shake it off a bit - or suffer the trapped feeling for longer. My husband has enjoyed direct flights out of NY or ATL (when Delta had the service) but then he travels jus tone person and enjoys the Ambien - not so possible with 3 kids!

ggreen Oct 29th, 2010 09:51 PM

I would say definitely nonstop on the way over, maybe a stop on the way back. I'd agree with Jaya re: that purposeless feeling with the European stopover. Plus, in the outbound direction, flying nonstop really cuts down on/eliminates jet lag on such a long flight. (Though I agree that there is of course that moment in the trip when you feel you can't stand another minute!!) While I hear you about adjusting to vacation mode, I'm not convinced that "adjusting to time changes on the way" actually works in that manner.

On the return, there will be jet lag and other "re-entry" issues regardless, so it might be a better time to have a stopover if you really feel you want one.

sfmaster Oct 30th, 2010 03:05 AM

I think well reasoned. Now to just deal with the Delta miles issues. I'll have to balance the trade off of miles/status with ideal flights and then of course cost... times 5.