Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Stickers etc. for children in Java? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/stickers-etc-for-children-in-java-602903/)

Ericka Mar 27th, 2006 01:50 PM

Stickers etc. for children in Java?

I've been reading how the children in India love to receive stickers, pens and pads of paper from westerners. We have a trip to Java coming up in a few months and I was wondering if they would like these things, too.

Thoughts? ((#))

Elainee Mar 28th, 2006 02:28 PM

All kids like stickers.

Kathie Mar 28th, 2006 06:08 PM

This is a contraversial topic. Many people feel it's a bad idea to hand things out to children as it trains them to beg. They see a foreign visitor and they immediatly wonder if the person has something for them. Donating school supplies or giving to a local charity can have positive impact on the people and places you visit. Some people like to take "expereinces" along to share with kids - blowing bubbles is a popular one, I've heard of others taking things to teach kids how to juggle or using your digital camera to show kids their pictures, etc.

marmot Mar 28th, 2006 07:07 PM

Presents for children are well appreciated and the items you list would be treasured!

HOWEVER, you should only consider giving presents to kids with whom you have a personal contact, e.g. the children of your driver, the child of the proprietor of a cafe that you frequent.

Do not plan to indiscriminately hand out gifts, even of the token variety, in public places. If you do you are likely to be swamped by little -- and big -- hands(think Java = 180 million people!) and as Kathie points out, will be setting a bad precedent.

Although you will see a few street kids or homeless people in urban areas, considering the size and income of the population, Indonesia doesn't have an active tradition of begging. Charity however is well thought of and if you'd like to make a contribution in goods or money you'll find many deserving takers.

KimJapan Mar 28th, 2006 07:12 PM

I agree with Marmot....gifts might be nice for children you have contact with. Also, giving to schools via a charity or through a direct school contact supplies they might need might be nice. One thing we've done with great success is carried one of those cameras that pictures pop out of...forget what they are called...anyway, when we meet children who we spend some time with chatting or buying something or playing a game, staff's kids, driver's kids..., we offer to take their picture and then give it to them right then and there.

Ericka Mar 29th, 2006 04:33 AM

Interesting take on this. I hadn't thought about the larger ramification of creating an expectation...

There are often local children "working" (crafts, dancing etc.) at some of the resorts we visit. These children have a way of stealing our hearts. Maybe we could give a few items to the GM to be given to the children when their "shift" is over.

I'd love to visit an orphanage and donate items there but I'm afraid I would want to adopt all of them! And of course, foreigners cannot adopt Indonesian children unless they are residents of Indonesia. :'(

Finding a local charity sounds like a good idea. I'm sure a cash contribution would be appreciated.