Notices

Staying at Phi Phi Don

Jul 30th, 2016, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Staying at Phi Phi Don

Hey all!

My sisters and I are planning a girl's trip to Thailand next month.. We spend a couple of days in Bangkok and were thinking of making our way to Krabi/Koh Samui for a few days after that. Koh Samui air tickets are just so expensive! So I am thinking of splitting our time between Krabi and Phi Phi Don. Here are my concerns:

a) Weather wise, I believe that Koh Samui / Koh Tao are better in August. I am told Krabi and Phi Phi are low season right now and can be pretty rainy/windy.. Is that true? If yes, then is there any other alternative way which is cheaper and comfortable to head to Koh Samui?

b) Is Phi Phi still worth it? I read so many posts about the day trippers from Phuket crowding it out and the mess and the cheesy tourism that has mushroomed thanks to the movie "the beach". I definitely do not want to do just a day trip to Phi Phi - As its a girly trip, we want to stay some where safe and yet fun.. Motto being sun, fun and rum!

c) If Phi Phi is recommended as a fun place to stay, which area should we book ourselves in? Tonsai Bay / Village does not sound so appealing. Yet we want to be able to walk back to our places safely in the night from where ever we spend the evening on the Island.

Any other tips/suggestions in this regard?

Thanks.
Jul 31st, 2016, 09:20 AM

So your trip is August/September? It will be very wet on the Andaman Sea side of Thailand, which includes Krabi and Phi (as well as Phuket, Ko Lanta, Ko Lak, etc). This means not only rain, but rough seas. The beaches are likely to be red-flagged. If you were hoping to swim in the sea, I wouldn't go at that time of year. And if you are someone who would feel like their vacation was ruined by rain - you can be virtually guaranteed of rain - heavy rain. The seas are rough enough that ferries to PhiPhi may be cancelled.

Koh Samui will have much better weather. Flights there are expensive, but the first flight of the day on Bangkok Air is usually less. Or you can fly to the closes town on the mainland, Surat Thani, and take a ferry to Koh Samui. It makes for a long trip, but it is much less expensive than flying.

Another option would be to go to Hua Hin. It's about a two hour drive south from Bangkok, and you can get minibus to take you there from Bangkok. There are lots of lovely hotels in Hua Hin, though it is not as scenic as Krabi, for instance. The Hyatt is very nice (and on a nice stretch of beach). Friends have stayed at the Intercontinental there and said it was great.

Enjoy your trip!
Jul 31st, 2016, 04:58 PM

I agree with Kathie re the Anadaman coast and its weather at that time of year. I would forget about that side of Thailand and concentrate on the gulf coast. Plus, phi phi is much as your fear i.e. Overrun with day trippers.

A flight to Surat Thani and ferry from there would save money but not time. One alternative which would be cheaper and could be fun, would be to get a train and ferry combo ticket to Koh Samui. See http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#Ko_Samui for detail

An overnight on the train would mean a saving in accomodation costs and, just maybe, if you compared the door to door time with flying via Surat Thani, it wouldnt cost much more in terms of actual wasted travel time.

Plenty of nice hotels on KS but choose wisely as some of the resort centres may provide way more "fun and rum" than you anticipate (it can get very rowdy!) .
Aug 1st, 2016, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks Kathie and Crellston. I think we'll take your advice and go to KS!

Search this Thread