Stay away from asiarooms.com

Jul 17th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

Stay away from asiarooms.com

I had an awful experience with asiarooms.com. I booked a room in Hong Kong; great initial rate of course. It took them 4 days to reply. Then another 4 days to tell me that they would have to charge me more. I agreed. Then another 4 days before they emailed me that they could not secure me a room. And that nothing else was available in Hong Kong. Of course by this point other options had dried up. Misleading, irresponsible and unprofessional.
Jul 18th, 2006, 07:21 AM

Jeepers, that's not very good. Thanks for the heads up. We still have to book hotels for a couple of our destinations in December and I guess I won't be using asiarooms.com.
Jul 18th, 2006, 11:20 AM

I used them last summer for booking a hotel room in Tokyo and had no problems whatsoever. They responded promptly and e-mailed me my hotel voucher in a reasonable amount of time. I did run into a minor problem trying to book a hotel in HK, because the hotel I wanted was full. But I would definitely use them again.
Jul 18th, 2006, 02:41 PM
JP

We used them twice with absolutely no problems.
Jul 18th, 2006, 03:24 PM

used them many times without a hitch and will continue to do so.
Jul 18th, 2006, 03:43 PM

They tend to have quite mixed reviews on other boards too. But generally okay.
Jul 18th, 2006, 03:50 PM

No problems with them in February but I'm actually getting competitive rates for both the Intercontinental and the Peninsula in Bangkok for next February by booking directly with the hotels and there's no deposit required.
Jul 18th, 2006, 06:52 PM

One of the problems with AsiaRooms is that they list hotels that they don't actually have any relationship with. When you try to book rooms, they'll come back with 'its full' or some other excuse and offer you another property. That's why they get mixed reviews - if you ask for a hotel they really have, no problem, if not then you end up wasting a lot of time.

BTW, hotels are finally getting a clue when it comes to internet booking, and some are trying to remove some of the silliness. Marriott seems to be in the forefront of this. They no longer have a 'rack rate' that nobody really pays, and offer the same rate on their web site that you can get anywhere else.
Jul 18th, 2006, 07:32 PM

michael---marriott has made great strides but i have received significant discounts from the thai discount sites (www.huahin.20m.com) and directly from the bkk hotel as well for long term stay////
Jul 18th, 2006, 07:43 PM

We got Novotel Chiang Mai for 990 Baht for a twin, without breakfast direct from Novotel but that was not so easy to dind but was on some Novotel discount site where they offered last minute rooms, that is about half what the normal 'discount' rate is.
Jul 20th, 2006, 12:17 AM

As for Marriott, the discount sites generally aren't offering the 'same room' as you get through the Marriott web site. If the discount is deep, it's most likely missing included meals or other perks. The marketing manager for Marriott in Thailand recounts having a lot of disappointed customers who booked through the discount sites, only to arrive and find they weren't getting rewards points, member upgrades or breakfast.

The bottom line is that you should try to compare rates and make sure you're comparing the same thing when looking at rates.

I tend to avoid AsiaRooms because I don't like the way they operate when there's a problem, and with the amount of travel I do, there's going to be the occassional bump in the road.
Jul 22nd, 2006, 05:31 AM

The internet agents get a 50% commission, so it is dreaming in tech to think hotels can eat 50% + points + breakfast + etc + etc. This whole internet "Cheap" "bargain" drivel is nihilistic. As a result of cheaper rooms, hotels are getting a much worse guest doing a huge amount more damage/theft to rooms (300% increase usually). Long term of all this is not good.
Jul 22nd, 2006, 07:31 AM

Where do you get your data, merck? I've never heard of an internet site getting anything close to a 50% commission. And I can't imagine where you got the data that there has been a 300% increase in dmage to rooms... Show us the data!
Jul 22nd, 2006, 02:47 PM

The rate on the Marriott hotel website for a deluxe riverview room in Jan/07 is 218 (185 plus tax of 33) with no breakfast. Agents sites are offering the same type of room for as low as 160 including breakfast. Quite a difference.

Jul 22nd, 2006, 07:28 PM

and when the prices come out for the www.huahin.20m.com site shortly the price including tax/service and breakfast will be about $130-140, this based on last years pricing...
Jul 23rd, 2006, 09:48 AM

I also just had a bad experience with asiarooms.com. I tried to book a Koh Samui (Baan Chaweng) hotel with asiarooms just past midnight on July 19th for July 25 to 28 (3 nights accommodation). I waited the obligatory 48 hours, after which I sent 2 to 3 emails per day for updates. Their replies always start off with apologies and then a request to be patient as they are contacting the hotel for availability. This morning (July 23rd, 3 hours ago) I finally called asiarooms and the lady asked me to wait another 12 hours
as it is almost midnight in Koh Samui. I can't wait another 12 hours, so I decided to call the hotel directly and was told that the hotel is full for the dates I wanted.
I guess if you are booking weeks in advance, asiarooms is great but if you want a room within 7 days, the service is unprofessional and irresponsible.
Jul 23rd, 2006, 05:16 PM

At this point, I should probably note that most Thai hotels have announced they will be raising their wholesale rates for next year, so the rates from the discount sites will probably be higher than you're expecting.
Jul 27th, 2006, 07:27 PM

i just booked a room for november using asia rooms with no problem at all---the voucher was received in about 20 hours from my original post to them....the price is only $3. more per nite than last fall on the huahin.20.com site, which says it will not be posting new prices until september....so they lost out on my reservation...
Jul 30th, 2006, 03:47 AM

I had a very bad experience with asiarooms. I booked a Shanghai hotel and they then came back and said they couldn't get that property (despite it being on their site) but had reserved me a room at another property, at a higher rate.

They blocked the amount for the total stay on my credit card without waiting for me to accept the new property. I never authorised it, turned down the new property, asked them to refund/clear the block, and then had to travel without the use of those funds while (I thought) they were sorting it out. Approximately 17 emails later and I still couldn't get them to lift the charge; all they had to do was contact their acquiring bank but refused to do this.

I was without the use of those funds for my trip and the email circle was completely ridiculous:

- Please lift the block on my card!
- We'll look into this immediately and get back to you.
- You haven't gotten back to me, please lift the block on my card!
- We'll look into it again and get back to you.
- Again you haven't gotten back to me, I never authorised the charge, please lift the block on my card!
- We'll escalate this immediately and get back to you...

etc etc etc.

NEVER again!
Jul 30th, 2006, 06:45 AM

you couold also have approached your bank to lift the held funds as no charge had subsequently been made to your account for those rooms it seems to me....this is one good reason to always use american express cards as they have an easy way to challenge things...

just because it is on their site or on any site does not mean the hotel will honor your res....these services "offer" all sorts of hotels but none of the rooms are confirmed until the hotel agrees to it...they are just brokers...

again i had no troubnle whatsoever making my recent res...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO