Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Statement from the ROS in Bangkok regarding flood threat (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/statement-from-the-ros-in-bangkok-regarding-flood-threat-909851/)

mcbg1 Oct 20th, 2011 05:55 PM

Statement from the ROS in Bangkok regarding flood threat

Since I have a reservation at the ROS in 2 weeks, I emailed the general manager to see what she had to say about the risk of floods and she said everything was currently fine at the hotel and that they don't expect any major flooding at the hotel. She sent me this official statement from the hotel about the situation. Since I know a lot of people on this board are staying at this hotel, I thought I'd post it:

Statement regarding high water levels along the Chao Phraya River
Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers

With regards to inquiries and concerns of the increase in water levels along the Chao Phraya River, please be informed that to-date Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers is not affected by the high water levels.

Over the past several weeks, seasonal rains that are heavier than usual have resulted in widespread flooding in Thailand. Ayutthaya has been the only tourist destination widely affected by the floods, while other provinces where tourists generally go have been slightly impacted. The areas of central Bangkok both touristic and business are not flooded and remain fully accessible. Some outlying suburban districts of the Bangkok Metropolitan Area are experiencing localized flooding. During periods of intensely heavy rain, there are normal levels of localized flooding on certain low-lying streets in Bangkok. These are quickly cleared up by the city’s water drainage system.

While the mass volume of the flood from the northern parts of Bangkok could over flow into the Rangsit Plain, some suburban districts nearby Rangsit area could be inundated. However, the area is located 40 km or 60 minutes by car from the city centre.

Access to Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok, has not been affected by the floods and is operating as per usual.

The Chao Phraya River along the hotel is seasonally at a higher-than-normal level with some localized flooding along certain sections of its banks. The river’s water flow is being carefully managed by government officials to prevent broader flooding. Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers is working closely with local authorities i.e. Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, Bangrak and Samphantawong Districts, Marine Department to monitor and observe the water levels around the area. 

As a long-term prevention measure, the hotel’s recent renovation included the elevation of the riverside terrace, enabling the hotel to withstand water levels up to 4.2 meters. Currently, the highest level forecasted by the Royal Thai Navy Headquarters will only reach 3.78 meters on October 29th. In addition, flood prevention measures have been enacted by the hotel. Barricades of sandbags have been erected along the Embassy Garden and several water pumps have been promptly installed. To ensure the safety and security of our guests, associates, and local communities around the area, the hotel has also set up a flood prevention team consisting of engineering, security personnel and paramedics.

Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers would like to express our deepest sympathies to those affected by the flood throughout the country.

Media Contact:
Jirapa Chankitisakoon
Director of Marketing Communications
E: HYPERLINK "mailto:[email protected]" [email protected]
T: +66 81 817 23 86

Edgar_Degas Oct 20th, 2011 06:05 PM

My hotel staff was a bit more concise: "Can do. Can come. no problem for you."

HappyTrvlr Oct 20th, 2011 06:16 PM

Shangri La issues new statement daily regarding the situation. It looks like the hotel will be OK but many of it's staff are dealing with flooding of their homes. Traffic in the city is light as those outside the city cannot drive in...I feel so bad for the local people. The Prime Minister is deciding which areas of the city to flood as the water has to be released. International Herald Tribune has a front page article in today's edition regarding Bangkok flood.

rhkkmk Oct 20th, 2011 11:24 PM

today it is just fine here, but tomorrow may bring a few issues, but by next week things should be mostly back to normal...

all reports are that the government has really messed things up this time, and of course no one is telling the whole story...

i am down river at the marriott... i have been all over central bkk today and things are fine...
north and west are a mess... the area around the old airport is particularily hard hit

Edgar_Degas Oct 21st, 2011 02:47 PM

rhkkmk summed it up rather well. Heard many rumors today from various thai people that turned out to be false. Mostly about canals overflowing. Many are deeply worried about families up north or friends living right outside Bangkok.

Maxamillion Oct 25th, 2011 06:09 PM

I would check with them again, as the area was taking on a lot of water on Tuesday 25th.

kmkrnn Oct 25th, 2011 06:17 PM

We were there at 8am and the river was high but about a meter to the dock level yet to go.

simpsonc510 Oct 25th, 2011 06:23 PM

My concern would be getting stuck in the hotel, and not being able to get outside due to high water. The hotel might be safe from the floods, but getting there may be very difficult, and same way with leaving!

Even the breakfast room staff at my apartment hotel in Sukhumvit were asking me, rather anxiously, this morning, if I would be getting out of town. They seemed pleased to hear that I am leaving for Phuket tomorrow.