Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Starwood hotels in Tokyo (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/starwood-hotels-in-tokyo-664566/)

famgarrido Dec 15th, 2006 01:19 PM

Starwood hotels in Tokyo

I am going to try to use Starwood points to book a hotel for a six-night stay in Tokyo in March. Of the Westin and Sheraton properties there, which would be most desirable?

We will be 2 adults and four kids, including a teenager. We would like to try to have three people per room, but would consider paying for a third room if necessary. Is it reasonable to cram a third person in rooms in these hotels?

KimJapan Dec 15th, 2006 01:52 PM

The Westin is the nicest imo. The Sheraton in Tokyo Bay is right at Disney, so is very good for visiting Disneyland and DisneySea.

Not exactly sure about spg's policies, but Hilton in Japan allows 1 child free per room without an extra bed...if an extra bed is required there is an additional charge. If the room you choose is at least 30 m2 then an extra bed will fit...but at least 40 m2 is much better for an extra bed, especially for a longer stay like 6 nights.

mjs Dec 15th, 2006 03:15 PM

We fit two adults and two children in one room with two double beds at the Westin so I strongly suspect that three to a rooom should be fine.

emd Dec 15th, 2006 06:50 PM

The Westin in Ebisu is a very fine hotel, one of the nicest I have stayed in anywhere in the world. Incredibly good service from front desk staff to concierge to bellmen and beyond, beautiful interior, great beds, wonderful marble bathrooms. I have stayed there twice for total of 10 nights, all on points (because as you know, w/Starwood it is stay 4 nights on pooints and get the 5th night completely free, no points needed on 5th night).

You will not be disappointed in any way there. I am somewhat picky about hotels and I have never had any complaints here- not even one little thing I can think of that could have been better. Location is excellent IMO, a short walk (on covered indoor moving walkway) to the JR Ebisu station on the Yamanote loop that goes around Tokyo. And btwn the hotel and station is the wonderful Ebisu Garden Place w/a dept. store, post office (for ATM access), Tokyo Metropolitan Museum of Photography, brewery and restaurant, bakery, etc. Google Ebisu Garden Place and you'll see.

If you have the points, use them to get a room on the executive club floor, which entitles you to the very good breakfast in the cafe on 1st floor, a full hot and cold buffet breakfast, w/Japanese breakfast items available off the menu if you want to try those- all included in your points stay. Or you can choose breakfast in the exec. club lounge. You also would get free drinks and wine and appetizers from 5-7 in the evening in the club lounge and access to a private club concierge.

I love that hotel. I just love going back there at the end of a day in Tokyo.

emd Dec 15th, 2006 06:53 PM

Oh, about the bedding situation. The double beds are big, like a queen size. You could easily get three people in them, as long as two of the can share a bed. So you should be able to get the 2 adults and one kid in one room, and the teen and two other kids in 2nd room. They should be able to accomodate you in adjoining rooms. Both rooms I have stayed in there had adjoining rooms w/door in btwn them.

emd Dec 15th, 2006 07:29 PM

I think the other options for you are the Le Meridien (LM) Pacific Hotel in Shinagawa or the Le Meridien Grand Pacific, located in O'Daiba. The Sheraton Grande are too far out from Tokyo proper to be practical and useful on a trip to Tokyo, although it is good for trips to Tokyo Disney.

The LM Grand Pacific is in Rainbow Town, which is in the O'Daiba area of Tokyo. This is a manmade island of sorts, built on top of part of Tokyo Bay. It is an unusual place, lots of amusements in that area (like a big ferris wheel, Palette Town which has a big arcade, Toyota MegaWeb which displays Toyota prototype cars w/a test track, Sega Joyopolis, Museum of Maritime Science, etc. Google Odaiba and you'll see. I took my daughter there for an evening and we enjoyed it.

That area would give you a lot of options at night, and will hold interest for your kids and teen. My 13 yr old daughter and I enjoyed Venus Fort, an indoor shooping area themed on Italy (complete w/fountains, sky scape, etc.), Palette Town arcade and the ferris wheel, etc. Google this area and you'll see what it offers. And you'd be across Tokyo Bay from Akasuka/Senjosi Temple and that side of Tokyo.

The LM Grand Pacific looks like a very nice hotel-- and a big plus w/kids is that great indoor pool, which the Westin does not have. Le Meridiens are excellent hotels. I have stayed in them in a few places in Europe on business and have never been disappointed. Starwood just acquired them in the last year or so, and I have not stayed at them on Starwood points yet.

If I was you, I'd look into that hotel as a very viable option. To get from Odaiba across the bay to Tokyo, you have a few options- including use of an automated railway (no driver) but that can be a bit costly for 6 people each day, so look into that also.

The LM Pacific Tokyo in Shinagawa is less points that the Westin or LM Grand Pacific. It does not look as nice on the website as the LM Grand Pacific or Westin. No indoor pool like LM Grand pacific (which can be a real plus at night w/the kids). It is close to Shinagawa station. I have not stayed in Shinagawa or visited that area so can't comment on that area.

I'd look into the Le Meridiens. Check Tripadvisor and other reviews. I do not recall anyone on this board posting about those LM hotels.

emd Dec 18th, 2006 05:10 AM

If you stay at one of the Le Meridien's will you please post back about they stay? I don't think anyone here has stayed at either of those hotels and posted on their expereince, and I am interested in hearing about them, esp. the Grand Pacific.