Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

STAGES of my Trip to THAILAND - ITINERARY Help Wanted...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How u doin?.... OK, I have finally decided to take that dream vacation and the destination is THAILAND. Believe me when I say it has taken rediculously a long time and few backing outs to finally pass the FIRST STAGE = I am leaving for Thailand on Feb.27-March 19 (for 3 weeks), first time, and traveling by myself! So I am stuck at the SECOND STAGE = ITINERARY? Based on your experiences, can you experts please recommend the best itinerary for this 3 weeks. I am single (ie a free man!) and would like to pack as much adventure along with relaxation into this trip as possible. I'd like to meet and hang out with locals/other tourists, sightseeings, learnings, a little bit of partying at nights, watersports like diving, kiteboarding maybe, and anything else out of the ordinary....maybe experiencing buddha life, etc.!!

- So based on my little knowledge and consensus here, I can think of Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Koh Samui/Koh Tao. Is this great enough? How long do I need for them? Feel bad not visiting any other place like Laos, singapore, etc while I'm there....should I?

- I can have a stoppover at HONG KONG (no, not King Kong!) for couple of nights. Should I spend some time there so I can say I've been there done that or I can make better use of it in Thailand?

Your help and any other insight is really appreciated.
Thanks
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:47 AM

you would love HK...i would highly suggest about 4 days there...one to recover and 3 to look around...

i then think that 3 places in thailand would be perfect...thailand only...

warning---a single guy will probably not be alone for long if you desire company---its thailand...

you will love it all...picking your hotel is the next important step....location is most important imo...for a single guy you might like to be in town rather than along the river in bkk....the area around sukhumvit is good and there are tons of different hotels at differing levels of expense...

the new holiday inn on plenochit might be a good location or the landmark on sumhumvit or the westin or the davis...

here is a good site:

www.huahin.20m.com
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:52 AM

You'll have a great time. If you provide a budget, e.g., per night hotel, you will get lots of hotel suggestions.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. Then I will stay 2-3 days in Hong Kong. Should I choose hostels over regular hotel, never stayed in them before but I guess all I need is a bed here, right!?

Can someone tell me which one makes more sense; should i do this stopover on my way to Thailand or on the way back? (i guess it goes along with where is better for shopping?).
THX.

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 11:42 AM

Go for a decent hotel - skip hostels.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 02:31 PM

Hostels or hotels...how posh should your accommodation be? Some hostels are way better than some hotels. And some hotels are way better than others. I wouldn't let the terminology influence my choice at this stage. Consider your budget, what amenities you want, what kind of service, and what kind of fellow guests, and location.

As a single traveller, it is far easier to meet other travellers in smaller establishments and hostels. There will be many travellers like yourself in that type of place, and very few single tourists in the luxe places...single, yes, but usually on buisness...tourists, yes, but usually part of a family or other group.

If all you need is a bed, then your expenses will be very low. And what you will get is only a bed in a place with other travellers who are on a strict budget for whatever reason.

We recently met a young woman travelling with her daughter in Thailand. They were staying in rock bottom places, and proud to have found a place in Chiang Mai for $3.00/night. They were on a self-imposed budget, thinking, I think, that they would have a more "real" experience on the cheap. They had plenty of money to spend, but chose not to spend it on accommodation, and were quite happy. Our family, on the other hand, has much less money than they did in terms of income and general lifestyle, but chose to spend more on accommodation because we enjoy comfortable places with amenities and we enjoy the people we meet at the smaller but very nice hotels. Though we do like gorgeous hotels for their elegant rooms and surroundings and service, we haven't made any friends during stays in large hotels, while we have made many during stays at smaller places.

So, it's really a matter of what you are looking for, what your priorities are. Decide on what you want, then ask for recommendations of specific places or about places you think you'd enjoy. tripadvisor.com has some good commnentary as well, though it is limited to mmostly quite mainstream places I've found.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 06:22 PM

its the old saying: location, location, location....pick you place for convenience or you will waste too much time coming and going and also spend more $$ than you might save on staying in the middle of things....some HK hotels have fabulous deals from time to time..

the salisbury YMCA could not be in a better location and is like a holiday inn in the usa...

the kowloon hotel is nearby and also reasonable...
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for your feedback. OK to be specific, I think it's better for me to try hostel in HK as I want to make new friends and experience this. Someone suggested Wang Fat Hostel in Hong Kong, does anyone know if this is a good one and recommend it?? Any recommended itinerary for 2 days in HK?!

Thanks.