Sri Lanka - Maldives Advice Needed

Jun 24th, 2002, 04:30 AM
yyyy

Sri Lanka - Maldives Advice Needed

For a four-week trip to Sri Lanka and the Maldives in August, how much time should we spend in each country? We are thinking 3 weeks Lanka, 1 week Maldives? Any thoughts about a stopover in Dubai? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

SRI LANKA AND SAFETY: Is there any one out there who can honestly and responsibly assess the safety situation (i.e risks, precautions) of a trip to Sri Lanka?

MALDIVES: CULTURE AND LODGING: Are there interesting cultural sights/experiences in Maldives (i.e. anything other than the isolated resort life)? Any inexpensive, charming places to stay? What about more expensive but still charming (possibly non-huge resort) type places?

Thank you all so much!

Jun 24th, 2002, 01:58 PM
xxxx

I spent a week in the Maldivies about 3 years ago. My resort was not a big one but charming (sorry I cannot remember of name of it, something with Moon). The resort had trips to other islands (every resort does). I went to Mali - the capital. The local markets were very impressive. My words are not good enough to describe it, you've got to experience it yourself. And I also asked the tour guide to take me into a local cafe. We ate leaves as desert, and all kinds of other strange things. Some tasted horrible (like leaves), others are ok. Anyway we ordered a lot. And I left US$1 for the bill. The tour guide told the waiter to keep the change. And everyone looked at me gratefully.
Another thing I've got to mention is how safe it is - at least in the resort. I could drop the belongings anywhere on the beach and came back a few hours later, they were still there - untouched. On my last dinner in the resort, I left my purse on the table, and went back to the room I had already checked out from to grab my water. When I came back, the US$1000 was still in my purse. Have fun there!

Jun 24th, 2002, 06:06 PM
ben

hi,
we spent a week last year (easter) in sri lanka. let me tell you it was fantastic. as far as safety is concerned, we did not have any problems. the sri lankans respect the tourists. if you are travelling in a tourist van, the army does not even stop the vehicle for inspection. if you need a great and reputable travel company/guide in colombo let me know. the company name scapes me right now. the cost for the family (myself, wife, daughter who was 11 at the time) for all 5 star hotel accomodation and half board, our own van and guide/driver, for 8 nights came to about $1000!!! for that price, we toured the southern half of the island (the northern 1/3 of the island is the trouble area). we travelled during the day to see the sights and the driver dropped us off to a hotel at night. 3 days before our departure, the driver dropped us off in the beach resort hotel complex. He came back to catch our plane. it was probably one of the best experiences of my life.
have fun.

Search this Thread