Sri Lanka - Expert Knowledge Required!

Jun 7th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Sri Lanka - Expert Knowledge Required!

Hi there,
I am planning to travel to Sri Lanka in mid November, and I have a week to see some of the country before meeting a group of friends for a relaxing week in a beach villa south of Galle.

I'm an active 31 year old male, and I'll be travelling alone on a budget. It would be great to hear if anyone has any experiences of similar trips, what they decided to do in their week, where they stayed and how they got about the country. I've bought a Rough Guide book, but there's simply too much to choose from in there for the uninitiated.

Quite a few of the posts I've read suggest hiring a driver, but this strikes me as a potentially expensive option. Am I correct in thinking this?

Thanks in advance

Peter
Jun 7th, 2010, 02:36 PM

I guess that depends on your definition of "expensive." I think our driver worked out to about $40 a day. It would have been possible to hire a driver for less. Buses are an option, but I haven't done it nor do I know anyone who has. Over on Thorntree, you'll find people who have done it by bus.

There is so much to see and do in Sri Lanka. Only you know what interests you most. Read some of the trip reports here (go to the top of this page and choose Sri Lanka from the drop-down menu. That will get you all of the posts about Sri Lanka.). If you haven't read my trip report, click on my name and a list of my posts will come up. Look under trip reports. You might like to look at photos to help you decide where to go. www.marlandc.com/SriLanka/index.htm

One note, distances may not look great, but travel is slow. The roads are narrow and twisty with lots of vehicular and non-vehicular traffic. So consider that when you plan your itinerary.
Jun 7th, 2010, 05:17 PM

It would be best to have the itinerary geared toward your interests. Is there a destination that you've really enjoyed? Why did you like it so much? What did you enjoy doing?
Jun 7th, 2010, 09:48 PM

Some indication of budget will help me to guide you a bit better. Kathie is right, car driver can be got for about US$ 40/day. Bus/train travel can cost US$ 10/day, safe, but a bit rough on the edges. What are your interests - history, culture, beaches, wildlife and nature??

Search this Thread