Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Spur of the moment - how about this itinerary? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/spur-of-the-moment-how-about-this-itinerary-1057198/)

gigib Jul 9th, 2015 11:10 AM

Spur of the moment - how about this itinerary?

This trip just popped up as something affordable to do next April without having to do any thinking or planning. We've never been to India, comments please on this itinerary, I do very much like the 2 days in Ranthambhore:
http://worldspree.com/india-tours/in...itinerary.aspx

They use Air China, I have read some negative reviews.

Kathie Jul 9th, 2015 11:23 AM

April is ghastly hot in the areas you are considering. Also, you might like the idea of 2 days in Rathambhore, but you have two nights there - which is only one full day.

This is a large group tour - is this what you want? I recommend to people that they consider a private tour. There are many well-regarded local agents in India who can arrange whatever trip you want, with guides if/when you want them, car and driver, flights, trains, etc for about the same price as these large group tours but without the groups, the buses, the forced shopping stops.

If this option interests you, a couple of companies that come highly recommended here are Castle and King and Legends and Palaces. There are many others as well that you can read about here.

And, of course, with this option, you can fly whatever airline you want.

jacketwatch Jul 9th, 2015 02:24 PM

I agree with Kathie. April is brutally hot and it seems like a lot of rushing around. You will have no time to get over jet lag and by the time you get home you will need time to recover.

If you want to see India Nov. thru Feb. is way better weather wise. You will be more comfortable for sure.

vp_singh Jul 9th, 2015 11:50 PM

Not a very bright idea to stay in Gurgaon & do sightseeing in Delhi, if my reading of the itinerary, on the link is correct! I was, a few months back, travelling from Gurgaon to the Connaught Place. It took me best part of 4 hours to reach my destination...there was, for no apparent reason, a traffic jam.
Early April will not be desperately hot, May & June definitely are. You could therefore take advantage of the off-season discounts. But do ensure that your hotels of stay have not embarked on ambitious renovations, when it could be very noisy, for the work carries on 24 hours, to meet the deadlines. It can happen at some of the best properties, I know this from bitter experience!
Enjoy some warm weather travel!

CaliNurse Jul 10th, 2015 01:34 AM

Agree with all others--TOO HOT in April! As one who loves India, I hate to think that between the heat and the travel, your memories would not be as good as they would with an alternate schedule and time of year.

Holy cow, VP--FOUR hours from Gurgaon to New Delhi??!!

NoFlyZone Jul 10th, 2015 05:03 AM

Not everyone is afraid of being in HOT weather! Plus there are the usual advantages.

jacketwatch Jul 10th, 2015 09:09 AM

Who is talking about being afraid? It's about being sensible and not touring around when it might be 110°F. I see no advantages to that at all unless you like to sweat

gigib Jul 10th, 2015 12:45 PM

Thanks for your comments. We are very heat tolerant, desert rats somewhat, although I am aware that the Indian heat is extremely humid. We'd go as early in April as possible. Normally we stay far away from large group tours and I do all the planning myself, but this trip is enough of a bargain to put up with non-ideal conditions. It might be nice to not do any thinking and planning, just pay the money and show up.

Kathie Jul 10th, 2015 01:51 PM

If you decide to take this trip, do come back and tell us how you liked it.

jacketwatch Jul 10th, 2015 02:00 PM

Yes please let us know how it goes if you go.

Cheers, Larry. :).

gigib Jul 11th, 2015 02:23 PM

I sure as heck will! Cheers.

Cyansiam Jul 12th, 2015 02:14 AM

We have been advised against Ranthambhore as being badly run and restricted access.

Think the heat in April is about the same as May when we went and it was not a problem if you are used to it plus it was cool at night.