Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Special socks? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/special-socks-517957/)

LostinChina Apr 2nd, 2005 06:22 PM

Special socks?

Some have recommended the special socks that give you support on the plane ride to decrease swelling in the ankles. What do you seasoned travellers think about that? Anything else that would make the long trip more bearable? Those neck pillows?

orgy7 Apr 2nd, 2005 06:26 PM

just take your shoes off and wear any socks...

Kathie Apr 2nd, 2005 07:10 PM

If you are prone to ankle swelling, you'll be much more comfortable with a support stocking. (orgy, for people who have problems with ankle swelling, taking off the shoes will mean they can't get them back on when they land!)

The around the neck pillows, either of the blow-up type or the buckwheat-filled help many people sleep on the plane.

LostinChina Apr 2nd, 2005 08:08 PM

Thanks, Kathie.
We bought the inflatable pillows. Don't know how comfy they are, but take less room when not in use.

emd Apr 3rd, 2005 12:59 AM

I loved my inflatable neck pillow. I used it on the plane, not just to sleep but to give me some support while watching the portable DVD player we brought. Also, I'll give you a somewhat novel use for it. If you do any handwashing (I did quite a bit, my son's shirts) then you can use it to make an infaltable hanger. Blow it up only partially and wrap the curved part (part you would normally put by your neck) around the hanger, then slip on the wet shirt/sweater and it gives you the advantage of having space btwn the front qand back layers to dry. Shirts dried overnight like this.

If there is alot of noise, then earplugs come in handy. I had good earphones for the DVD (kind that cup over your ears) and I had them on alot when not listening to the DVD.

Bring a water bottle on board, even just a water you buy at the airport. I really noticed (in coach on NWA) that they did not offer nearly enough water compared to what you need on a ride that long, and when they do offer it it is in those 5 oz cups. So I went to the galley many times and had our water bottled filled. Staying hydrated is really important for avoiding jet lag and everything else.
If you are going to take shoes off we found it helpful to bring a pair of slippers (we had the thin kind you get in hotel rms.). I find it gross to go to the bathroom or walk around in my socks on a plane, and it is easier than putting the shoes back on.

JamesA Apr 3rd, 2005 10:07 AM

You could also considor strong strapped sandals that are adjustable so if feet swell it's no problem at all, just 'let out' the straps.

LostinChina Apr 3rd, 2005 07:11 PM

Wow, great suggestions, emd and James A! What a creative way to use the inflatable neck pillow to dry laundry-thanks!!

Guenmai Apr 4th, 2005 06:59 AM

The Samsonite, inflatable neck pillows are very good....the gray-colored one.The valve doesn't rip off of them like I've experienced with other brands. And they are very easy to blow up and also to release the air when you want to deflate them. Happy Travels!

LostinChina Apr 4th, 2005 08:37 AM

Guenmai,
Hmmm, the ones we bought are gray, but they are made by Travelwise, and called "inflatable chiropractic neck rest". They come with ear plugs. Ever heard of them?