Help on honeymoon in Vietnam

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2003, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to have our honeymoon in Vietnam. I have done a bit of research and looked at various posts on this forum and have come up with this rough itinery for November 2003:<BR><BR> 4 nights in Saigon, (one night just to recover from the flight!) staying at the Continental or the Rex hotel <BR><BR><BR>maybe 7-10 nights in Nha Trang just to hang out on a beach and eat food, staying at Yasaka Saigon Nhatrang Hotel or the Nha Trang lodge<BR><BR><BR>and then a couple of nights in Hanoi, at the De Syloia or the Galaxy <BR><BR>I have heard good things about the hotels I have mentioned and they are within our price range. I would really appreciate feed back on our itinery and choice of hotels. I am also a bit concerned anout Nha trang, I have heard mixed comments about it. We really want a nice beach place but one that has shopping and restaurants etc readily available too? Is Nha trang the best choice?<BR>Any feed back would be most appreciated<BR><BR>thanks,<BR><BR>James
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 04:37 PM

Just returned from Vietnam a few weeks ago after 3 trips . The hotels you mentioned in Saigon are good. This time I stayed in the Majestic on the river which I found very enjoyable as it was nice to sit on the top overlooking the river. The staff was very helpfl. You might enjoy going down for a night buffet on a boat on the river and traveling a short distance on the river. The Lemongrass is a good Vietnamese restaurant on the street nearby.<BR>I haven't been to Nha Trang. <BR>I was in the De Syloia this last trip which is in a very nice small Vietnamese hotel. A room off the street and a higher floor would be better to avoid noise on the street. The staff of this hotel is also very helpful. It has a nice restaurant. Be sure to go to the puppet show-so entertaining and unique.<BR>Much happiness to you and may your trip be a very enjoyable one in a country I have grown to love and its people.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 05:14 PM

congratulations on wedding and adventurous honeymoon plans!<BR><BR>agree on desyloia--it's a nice boutique hotel on a nice, shady street w/ upscale foreign ofcs.<BR><BR>in saigon, both continental and rex are big, old hotels. continental evokes french colonia era, the rex the u.s.-dominated era. big lobbies, uniformed bellhops, etc. not cozy. few yrs ago the rex was among those having prblms w/ thieves knocking on guest doors, announcing themselves as room service, forcing their way in and robbing guests.<BR><BR>i wd also prefer majestic, or one of the smaller boutique hotels on dong khoi, like the mondial.<BR><BR>re nha trang, what kind of restaurants and shopping are u looking for? nha trang has beachy tourist restaurants, lots of good holes-in-the-wall, and a central market. i'd go there to relax and eat good seafood, definitely not for shopping. can't think of a beach destination in vn that has good shopping--unless u try danang, which is near hoi an, where there is some shopping.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your help and tips. I will have a look at the hotels you recommened. Thanks again,<BR><BR>James
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 04:51 PM

Just was in Vietnam and stayed at Hanoi Hilton, which is extremely comfortable and well located - near the central lake which is so completely lovely and full of real people practicing tai chi in the morning and lovers perambulating inthe evening - also less than 10 minutes walk to old quarter - which is full of interesting shopping streets, food markets and of course replete with old french colonial architecture.. we got a $75 a night rate on-line at hilton.com... and somehow got a great free buffet bfast too,.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:04 PM

First--check out http://www.planetholiday.com/Hotels/General/Vietnam.asp<BR>I would recommend the Caravelle Hotel in Saigon. It is an ANA property --very upscale and internet rates are available that include breakfast. They have great rooms and a western style, well equipped gym. It is across the steet from the Continental and very well located. Check out DaNang and the Furama resort. Hoi Ann is reasonably close. In Hoi Ann you will find rows and rows of tailors who are ready to make just about anything. Bring your favorite clothing item(s) as they are great at knocking things off in record time, but not so great at copying photos from magazines. You may want to bring a swatch of decent fabric so that you can share with them the type of fabric you would like them to use. Finally, in Hanoi--the Hilton Opera is a great property. It isn't the Metropole, but it is a close second and much more reasonable. Also--great tip in Hanoi--Shesheido (the japanese cosmetic company) has a shop in the Hanoi towers where you can get a 90 minute european facial and shoulder massage (they use all of their own products and very modern equipment)for less tha $US20.<BR>Congratulations and have a great honeymoon.