Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Southern Thailand. in May. Help me decide, Please

Old Mar 13th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Headed to Southern Thailand in mid-May with free tickets to Phuket. I'm trying to decide between the JW Mariott (isolated,quiet,5 star) on Phuket and the Phi Phi Island Village.I'm looking for 5 days/4 nights of relaxation on the beach, snorkeling,spa, and perhaps some elephant trekking. I know the weather could be iffy but it's the only time I can go so I'll just have to hope for the best. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which hotel would be the "better" experience. Are there other hotels you would suggest instead?
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 11:47 AM

Island Village is a nice resort but all accomodation is some way from the beach and the lovely bay is nice for swimming but no coral so not the best snorkeling. Holiday Inn about a mile further north is a much better option.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

I would plan on doing most of the snorkeling on tours. As far as the hotel I'm just interested in the nicer accomodations for my significant other. Without taking into consideration the distance of the accomodations to the beach, which resort would you prefer. Or, would you recommend staying on Phuket in one of the larger places (ie the JW)?
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 05:52 PM

Personally - well what else ;-) - I would not want to stay in Phuket at all, but travel the one hour or so northwards to Khao Lak. Le Meridien would be the place of choice there, they should offer good rates at thís not so ideal time of year. Check http://www.starwoodhotels.com/lemeri...ers/index.html
If it has to be Phuket, I found the Novotel very nicely situated atop the hustle of the main beach, with excellent food and that specific French savoir vivre.

BTW, we had more rain than anything else in Nov 05 (at the LM). This is supposed to be just THE time to go, but wasn't. So maybe you get lucky with your May date.

Sheygetz
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 07:08 PM

i do not think you will find elephant trecking on phi phi...

the jw is simply fabulous and a great place to vedge out...almost anything you could want will be found there or is available to you...
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 10:44 PM

If it's just the quality of accommodation that is your consideration then the only option on Phi Phi is the Zeavola.(not my cup of tea,but very nice rooms) Anywhere else on Phi Phi you will find only average accommodation.
JW Mariott, Phuket certainly is a very fine hotel and there is nothing on Phi Phi offering similar quality. But then this little island is all about location, not fancy hotels.
Whatever you decide, don't do Phi Phi as a day trip.....you will be mightily disappointed.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:43 AM

I have not stayed at the Marriott but I can tell you that the location is a bit farther away from the "action" on Phuket.

I would suggest other options. Take a look at Mom Tri's Villa Royale overlooking Kata Noi beach, on the southwest side of Phuket. Also take a look at the KataThani resort on Kata Noi beach. I just picked up a new Insight Guide to Thailand which says that there is a coral reef that says there is some good snorkeling off of Kata Noi beach. I've never done it, but the book says the coral reef there is good for snorkelers.

I have photos of both the Villa Royale and the Kata Thani resort on my web site at cjscollection.com. If you select the photo gallery on the left side of the page, and then choose the Asia album, you will see them. If I remember correctly, they are nearer to the end of the slide show. It's easy to jump ahead to photos numbered somewhere around 45 or so, just click on the sliding thumbnails at the bottom of the page. Hope the photos help you decide.

I think you would like the restaurant (Mom Tri's Kitchen) at the Villa Royale. Excellent food and service and a wine list that is extensive.

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 07:02 AM

JW marriott is really about 30-45 minutes ride to any "action" at all...

it is not a practical place to stay if you plan to go into the towns frequently....they do offer a shuttle bus but it fills quickly...as i remember it is by reservation or first come first serve after the res have been filled...
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Decided 2 nts JW and 2 nts Holiday Inn Phi Phi. Best of both worlds. Now I just have to hope it doesnt pour the whole time we're there. Thanks for the advice, I'll post a trip report.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 10:00 PM

Whilst you're at Holiday Inn try Jasmins restaurant right on the beach 30 yards from the hotel. Very rustic,tables and chairs made from old bits of driftwood,but fabulous food and very cheap.There are only around eight tables and you need to book by lunchtime. The catch of the day here really is just that, and try the vegetables in oyster sauce!!!
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Sounds delic., we'll have to be sure to try it. Another question, are there any kayak/snorkeling type tour companies that you would recommend on phi phi?
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 10:06 PM

Well, kayaks are available from Holiday Inn and I'm sure they are free of charge. As is snorkeling equipment if you don't have your own.
As for snorkeling tour companies, just talk to the guys at the hotel dive centre and they will advise best places to go. Then just hire a longtail with driver for say four hours (not very expensive) and do your own thing. The snorkeling all around Phi Phi is fabulous but one of my favourite sites is around Mosquitoe Island and for some reason it doesn't get crowded there. Loads of coral and teeming with fish. There is a site in the middle of the sea between Mosquitoe and Bamboo,the name of which I can't remember which is also very good but it can get rather busy sometimes.
It's just come to me I think they call it the Blue Lagoon.