Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

South Korea - family of 4 with 19 and 16 yo

Apr 28th, 2019, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Itís that time again where I try to figure out a summer trip! As my kids get older finding time in schedules is getting so hard!

Between internships, summer programs, and work the only intersection we have is a very set 2 weeks at the beginning of August.

We have been traveling with our kids since they were pretty tiny and have hit sooo many places. We donít like repeats. Our only trip to Asia has been Japan and it ranks as an all time favorite!

We all really want to go to South Korea. Is this doable in our time frame? Including travel time? We live in miami. How you would break up 12 nights on the ground? Plane tickets are a fortune, still need to figure that out!

Apr 28th, 2019, 05:50 AM

We had a coupe of weeks in South Korea and really enjoyed it. We left feeling we wanted to return - always a good sign. Basically we spilt our time between Seoul, Gyeongju and Busan. Getting around the country by train was cheap, quick and easy. In hindsight we could have added another location. I also feel that a car would have added a great deal of additional flexibility and enable us to visit some of the more remote areas.

Some detail and photos of some of the places we visited on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/asia/south-korea/

Can’t help with getting there from Miami as I am based in the UK.

One thing I would take a look at is the weather - I think August will be a tad hot and wet!
Apr 28th, 2019, 08:57 AM
kja

You can certainly see some wonderful things in the time you have, though you would have to pick and choose. I think crellston's suggestion of Seoul, Gyeongju, and Busan makes sense, though I wouldn't have wanted to add more with the time you have, and I wouldn't think a car would add substantially to your experience in that time -- but of course, it depends on what you want to see and experience.

If you haven't already seen it, you might find some useful information in my trip report:
4 wonderful solo weeks in South Korea
Apr 29th, 2019, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks folks!
I wish I had a lot more points or money (lol) I have to figure out how to find better airfare. $1500 for coach pp feels so high. I paid about half that for tickets to Tokyo.
Any creative ideas on air?
May 11th, 2019, 07:07 AM

It'll be really hot and muggy, and maybe still rainy at the beginning of August. We took our two kids from late Aug to mid Sept a couple of years ago and it was still hot, but people said we missed the worst of it.
I would suggest Yeosu! We stayed near Ungcheon beach, where there's a little island that you can walk to on a man-made pathway that's underwater at high tide. There are other pretty beaches around, and a cable car ride you can do, and Hyangiram hermitage poised on a cliff with lots of nooks and crannies.
I have a youtube channel called Korea With Kids where I've started posting some videos (Yeosu will be up next week, but I've barely started on Hyangiram so that one might take longer).
Airfare is indeed steep. Good luck!
May 12th, 2019, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Thinking we are going to save this for another time. The weather combined with our limit on time in addition to the flight costs have got us putting this on a back burner.

Thank u for your replies!