Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > songkran festival on april -what to do?
Notices

songkran festival on april -what to do?

Mar 27th, 2016, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

songkran festival on april -what to do?

hi, it will be my first time to visit bangkok and it happens to be their songkran festival. upon reseatch, its a 3 days event wherein a lot of people are outside with water games on. i am not fun of water, i dont like going out wet. what shall i do during those days? i will be in bangkok on april 14-17 but songkran will be on apr 13-15. my purpose in going to bangkok is to buy in chatuchak or pratunam but im afraid stores will eb closed til sunday- april 17. please help me. il be staying in baiyoke sky hotel and dont want to stay the whole time in the hotel.
Mar 27th, 2016, 08:51 AM

I have to admit that as much as I love Bangkok, you couldn't pay me to go there at that time of the year. Can you change your trip dates?

It's absolutely the hottest time of the year in Bangkok. And they aren't so much "water games" as people throwing water (and other things) on each other... constantly. It isn't my idea of a good time.
Mar 28th, 2016, 03:26 AM

At that time of year, large parts of Bangkok are completely deserted......so many people travel back to their family homes.

Certainly Khao San and a few tourist areas get involved in the water fights (mostly foreigners) but I'm sure other members will tell you where the "hot-spots" in Bkk are.

As for the markets etc, I'm not sure about opening times over the holiday....I just head for the hills where the water games are either non-existent or kept to a minimum.
Mar 28th, 2016, 04:22 AM

I'm with others who try to avoid the water play. I hate getting drenched! That's what songkran is all about. I always visit Bangkok in April but AFTER songkran!

I have no idea about market closings.

Search this Thread