Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Some preliminary Thailand questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/some-preliminary-thailand-questions-698023/)

jgg Apr 18th, 2007 10:09 AM

Some preliminary Thailand questions

We are considering Thailand for a 16 night trip March 2008 (Spring break). We will be travelling with our kids who will be 12 and 15 at the time. I have been relentlessly reading posts, trip reports and my guidebook and am thinking roughly Bangokok 4 nights, Chang Mai or Chang Rai 4 nights, beach (where?) 5 nights, Bangkok 2 last nights.

Here are my questions:

I have checked out the average temperatures for March being mid-high 80's, and avg. high temperature of low 90's. It sounds okay, but can be deceiving. In late March will it be the kind of heat where we feel like we need to take several showers during the day??

I keep reading about the awful pollution in Chang Mai due to the field burnings in feb. and March. It appears as though it has been particularly bad for this year due to wind. My son and are our both asthmatics, but it doesn't stop us from doing any activities. Just concerned if it could be a real issue in March.

Chang Mai or Chang Rai? Will mosquitoes be a problem in March - is it less of a problem in Chaing Mai. My poor daughter always seems to be a major target for mosquitoes, and the malaria issue in Chang Rai concerns me, but it seems as though it is a much more beautiful and less crowded area.

What is a good beach location for March? We don't want the Kanaapali or Cancun experience, and our kids don't need kids clubs or anything like that. Mostly concerned about good beaches for swimming and boogie boarding and a nice relaxing resort(4-5 stars) with good restaurants around. I would prefer a location that would not be too difficult to get to from Chang Mai/Chang Rai. Our main goals here would be some R&R and fun in the water. (not into diving or hiking)

Thanks for any thoughts. I expect these to be the beginning of many questions.

Kathie Apr 18th, 2007 10:21 AM

It sounds like a great trip!

I'd much prefer the Golden Triangle area to Chaing Mai (which I'm not fond of). The Anantara would be a wonderful experience for all of you.

The weather will be hot and humid... you will want several showers a day!

Do consult with a travel med doc before you go, as you'll want to make sure your immunizations are up to date. You can also talk about anti-malarials. You will, of course, want a good repellant. The most effective have deet as the active ingredient in a concentration of 25-50%.

laartista Apr 18th, 2007 11:20 AM

Hey, jgg I'm gonna piggyback on your post fot the Thailand info. LOL
Seems great shopping minds think alike.

jgg Apr 18th, 2007 12:12 PM

No problem laartista. Am a bit worried about the humidity though. We will see what hubby has to say.

Zeer Apr 26th, 2007 09:18 AM

March and April is the hottest time of the year, hence the Songkran festival. High 30s most of the time but this year there have been a few rainy periods to cool things down.