Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Some photos from my trip to Japan (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/some-photos-from-my-trip-to-japan-633089/)

ms_go Jul 22nd, 2006 02:45 PM

Some photos from my trip to Japan

Hi all -

Sadly, our trip has come to an end and we are flying home this evening. I've taken advantage of the Internet in most of my hotel rooms to post some photos along the way, for anyone who's interested.

http://community.webshots.com/user/go_family

I have some work to do on the captions, so please forgive the brevity and any spelling or other mistakes. The weather wasn't always optimal - I've developed a new skill for holding an umbrella in one hand and operating a DSLR. And I apologize in advance if you see a lot of ads around these; I don't when logged in and sometimes forget they are there.

Thanks to all who post here re: Japan. I found a lot of information here that has been very useful. I will try to get a trip report done when I get home, depending on work. I already have conference calls scheduled from 9am to 1pm solid tomorrow..... :&

Mara Jul 22nd, 2006 04:54 PM

Fabulous photos!!

emd Jul 22nd, 2006 05:22 PM

oh, ms_go, I feel your pain acutely. Both regarding your trip ending and the work sharks biting already.

We also had a lot of rain on our trip this year. But it likely won't be what you remember most.

When you get home and are waxing nostalgic and grieving for your trip, come back here and post your report. It will help. And we would love to read it.

Will check out the pics.

emd Jul 22nd, 2006 05:38 PM

Wow, those pictures of Matsumoto castle are realy crisp, clear, and great. And I can tell you really liked Takayama too. You have an eye and are a good photographer. I love the one of the Shinto priest blessing the car.

leniram Jul 22nd, 2006 06:23 PM

Great photos esp the torii gates.

how many days would you suggest to explore Kyoto and Nara?

jlaughs Jul 22nd, 2006 07:10 PM

ms_go, really beautiful pictures. I feel inspired!! :-)

I'm a little worried about my upcoming trip pictures. My camera is one of those small Sony digital cameras and I find that many of my shots come out blurry. I think the camera may be too small for me to hold steady enough to take sharp pictures. :-( Well, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and try REALLY hard to be steady.

Jed Jul 23rd, 2006 05:26 AM

I got my first digital camera a few months ago, and most of my pictures need fixing. I use Picasa, which I downloaded free through Google, and which does a great job, including sharpening images. It takes some practice, but really helps. ((*))

carylspall Jul 23rd, 2006 06:36 AM

Thanks for sharing your photos with us. They are really clear and interesting.
I will be in Tokyo at the end of September so I look forward to reading your trip report.

ms_go Jul 24th, 2006 03:44 AM

Thanks, all. I'm glad you're enjoying them. I'll try to enhance the captions, etc., over the next few days and see if there is anything else to add. I took about 900 photos. I'll also try to at least get some highlights and general observations posted in and around the work this week.

I survived the 11-hour flight in E+ yesterday; actually, I slept more than half the way home. But after our very smooth arrival at Narita a couple of weeks ago, the Immigration/Customs hall at O'Hare was a bit of a shock. There must have been 8-10 flights arriving within a short period, and it took close to two hours from wheels down to the time we dropped my mother off at the security line at T1. I've come through there quite a bit and have never seen it that bad.

leniram - this was my first trip, so I'm far from an expert. We had three full days for Kyoto and Nara, and it wasn't enough, IMHO. I could have used at least a couple more days.

jlaughs - good luck with your photos (and your trip). I haven't used Picasa, but my FIL raves about it.

leniram Jul 24th, 2006 07:52 AM

Thanks for the reply, ms. go

Ilove the Fushimi Inari Shrine photos and the lanterns. The torii gates are amazing. I will definitely visit this place on my trip next year.

Have you visited the Ryoanji Gardens in Kyoto? IS it a must see?

emd Jul 24th, 2006 08:02 AM

lenirma, you could explore Kyoto for many many days, even weeks. You just have to pick out what you are most interested in and do and see those things in the time you have. I have not been to Nara but most people seem to see it in a day trip from Kyoto.

angethereader Jul 25th, 2006 11:56 AM

ms_go - thanks.
Those brought back great memories. I also think I have several shots (especially in Kyoto) that are almost exactly the same.

hawaiiantraveler Jul 25th, 2006 12:04 PM

ms go
Thanks for the pics....looks like you had a great time. Can't wait for the report!

Aloha!

mrwunrfl Jul 25th, 2006 05:49 PM

great photos, ms_go!

Mary2Go Jul 26th, 2006 08:29 PM

Thanks for the pics! Looking forward to the trip report for reference for an upcoming trip. I just found out today that it is definite that I get to tag along with DH on a business trip to Tokyo! I am so excited! I have been one time 10 years ago, but it was to Matsuyama and Kyoto, so Tokyo will be a new experience.

ms_go Jul 27th, 2006 03:11 AM

Thank you, all, for the kind comments. I promise I will get to the trip notes soon. I have a massive amount of writing work, most of it due on Monday, so hopefully after that....

tanuki Aug 27th, 2006 05:38 PM

ms go, I loved this collection of pictures! I am hoping to go to Japan in about a year and a half, and the photos certainly captured my imagination.