Solo travel to Thailand

Feb 3rd, 2001, 02:08 PM
Junior

Solo travel to Thailand

I will be going to Thailand at the end of March with some friends. They will be there only for about two weeks, however i will spend an additional 2 weeks traveling alone. I have absolutely no familiarity with the native language. How difficult is it to get around with such a language barrier? Also, I am undecided as to how easy it is to show up to Phucket and Koh Samui w/out any room reservations between March and April. Is it recommended that one have reservations prior to departure or is it easy enough to simply show and get a room/bungalow. I am not looking for anything luxorious, rather simple accomadtions w/ the bare essentials. Are the rate for accomadations fair for someone on a budget? I would really appreciate it.

Feb 3rd, 2001, 02:21 PM
ralph

junior

i posted a copy of my thailand journal at worldsurface.com if you want a read, and fore the extra 2 weeks i would really recommend Laos. gorgeous gorgeous country,

cheers

ralph

Feb 5th, 2001, 04:21 AM
mystic

Hi Junior

Initially, you will lost since the Thai language - post spoken and written are completely different that the western ways. But, you will get use to it by the first week. Thai people speak English relatively (broken english at least) and always eager to help! You will have very minimal problem with the language barrier.

March and April should be relatively low season - you should be able to get rooms in Phuket and Koh Samui with ease. There are many many many hotels, guesthouses, bungalows for you to choose from.

You should be safe with some common sense do apply though. Thais are really friendly people but there are bad apples. Just be careful and practice good judgement.

Budget hotels should be around around US$15-30 -- air/con, hot water, cables etc. Guesthouses are cheaper - US$10 should get you a decent room.

Go to google search engine and search budget hotels or guesthouses and stand back!

Have fun in the Land of Smiles
Email me if you need specifics. I've traveled extensively in Thailand and should be able to help.

Cheers

Feb 6th, 2001, 12:36 PM
Roger

You'll have NO problems with language. Sure you'd like to speak Thai, but as a traveler you will be able to speak using the normal traveler's language (your hands and eyes). Show up in Kho Samui - no problem, but be sure you arrive in the daylight with time to look around...ask people on the beach where to stay...Have fun!!!!!!!

Feb 6th, 2001, 05:48 PM
waralan

I'm thai,you can mail me,i'm eager to help.