As some of you will know, I am now in a situation where I will be travelling alone, rather than as part of a couple - something I have done before, but in a small way in Europe, and never in Asia. DH and I loved Sri Lanka, but I have no desire to return there by myself, and I have always wanted to go to India, which never interested DH, because both my mum and her mum were born there.
I initially and probably stupidly booked a tour with a company specialising in solo travel, thinking that it would be nicest to be in company with a group of other solo travellers. There is no single room supplement and the tour takes in some of the standard northern India sights - Delhi [1 night,] Jaipur [2 nights] Ranthambore [2 nights] Agra [2 nights] Khajuraho [1 night] Varanasi [2 nights] Delhi [1 night]. However I an having second thoughts because they have failed to send me details of the flight upgrade I asked for, and it turns out that they may not be able to confirm that for me before I'm due to make the final payment, which I'm not prepared to do.
I've also done a bit of research [which I know I should have done before, but there were good reasons why I didn't] and discovered that I can get the flights I want for less than the supplement they will probably want to charge me.
So, my idea is to fly into Delhi, and out of Chennai [which is where my gran was born]. I should like to see some of the north, and some of the south [so presumably I'd need an internal flight] but apart from that I don't have any set ideas. I like food, wildlife, culture, meeting people, and did I mention food?
My main dilemma is this - would I enjoy a trip which is essentially me and a driver [or two] or should i go for a group tour, at least this first time. i appreciate that it's difficult for people who don't know me to answer that, but perhaps those of you who have done solo trips can tell me how you found doing a private tour by yourselves, and whether there are any particular problems related to this sort of tour in India [apart from the obvious].
this would be in February and probably for about 15 days on the ground.
Thanks in advance for any help and tips you can give me [assuming we can any of us post at all of course]
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 http://wellnessfeeds.com/total-age-repair-uk/
- 2 VPN Suggestions / reviews
- 3 Resort in Vietnam
- 4 Mekong delta bike tour
- 5 RHK's Fall SEA Trip
- 6 Bank Guarantee / Standby Letter Of Credit
- 7 Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar or Thailand?
- 8 Junk boat cruise-halong Bay,VNam
- 9 4 nights in Himalayas - Bhutan,Nepal, India?
- 10 Bago or Golden rock
- 11 Looking for advice on first-time Hong Kong trip
- 12 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
- 13 Bangkok
- 14 Sri Lanka compared to southern India, which do you prefer?
- 15 To see the Himalayas in 10 days?
- 16 Please help! Planning honeymoon in Malaysia!
- 17 HELP WITH JAPAN ITINERARY FOR MARCH
- 18 altenratives to Chiang Mai for "northen Thailand experience"
- 19 Restaurants in Bangkok
- 20 Food for thought- Restaurant suggestions for India Feb 1-18
- 21 Need some info on travelling to Malaysia?
- 22 Unique Map & Guide to Tokyo
- 23 Sulawesi
- 24 Racism danger in Cambodia?
- 25 8 Days in Bali