As some of you will know, I am now in a situation where I will be travelling alone, rather than as part of a couple - something I have done before, but in a small way in Europe, and never in Asia. DH and I loved Sri Lanka, but I have no desire to return there by myself, and I have always wanted to go to India, which never interested DH, because both my mum and her mum were born there.
I initially and probably stupidly booked a tour with a company specialising in solo travel, thinking that it would be nicest to be in company with a group of other solo travellers. There is no single room supplement and the tour takes in some of the standard northern India sights - Delhi [1 night,] Jaipur [2 nights] Ranthambore [2 nights] Agra [2 nights] Khajuraho [1 night] Varanasi [2 nights] Delhi [1 night]. However I an having second thoughts because they have failed to send me details of the flight upgrade I asked for, and it turns out that they may not be able to confirm that for me before I'm due to make the final payment, which I'm not prepared to do.
I've also done a bit of research [which I know I should have done before, but there were good reasons why I didn't] and discovered that I can get the flights I want for less than the supplement they will probably want to charge me.
So, my idea is to fly into Delhi, and out of Chennai [which is where my gran was born]. I should like to see some of the north, and some of the south [so presumably I'd need an internal flight] but apart from that I don't have any set ideas. I like food, wildlife, culture, meeting people, and did I mention food?
My main dilemma is this - would I enjoy a trip which is essentially me and a driver [or two] or should i go for a group tour, at least this first time. i appreciate that it's difficult for people who don't know me to answer that, but perhaps those of you who have done solo trips can tell me how you found doing a private tour by yourselves, and whether there are any particular problems related to this sort of tour in India [apart from the obvious].
this would be in February and probably for about 15 days on the ground.
Thanks in advance for any help and tips you can give me [assuming we can any of us post at all of course]
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Vietnam, Cambodia & Hong Kong - Fall 2017 Trip Report
- 2 What to do with a Layover in Taipei?
- 3 Nywoman an older single traveler explores Taiwan
- 4 Trip to India Feb 1-18
- 5 Family trip to Thailand for Christmas and possibly New year
- 6 Vientiane to LP December
- 7 Solo or group tour for first trip to India?
- 8 RHK's Fall SEA Trip
- 9 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
- 10 Safest beach area for solo female in Sri Lanka
- 11 VN + Japan 6 wks March/April - which order?
- 12 Wat Arun
- 13 Vietnam April 5 - 16
- 14 Hotel in Vientiane 18-24 December
- 15 best way to spend two days in Chiang Mai
- 16 How to travel from Narita airport to Kawaguchiko
- 17 Prelim itinerary Java, Bali
- 18 5 days in Singapore
- 19 ONLY 3 DAYS in BEIJING -BEST THINGS TO DO?
- 20 Shanghai in January
- 21 24hrs in Seoul on Christmas..what to do
- 22 Myanmar tour companies
- 23 Luang Prabang for Christmas which Hotel?
- 24 Recommended drivers in Sri Lanka
- 25 Top Things to do in Amazing Bali - Travel Report