sofitel chiang mai - anyone?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we will be spending 5 nights in Chiang Mai during our *hopefully* upcoming trip to Thailand...

cant find many reviews on Sofitel Chiang Mai, and as we have points there, are thinking of staying there...

how close or far is it from the "center"? how far from the night market (as a point of reference?)

any info would be great!!
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 05:46 AM

Note that the Sofitel has just opened, so you won't find many reviews. I remember seeing the construction when I was in CM, but I expect one of the locals can give you info on where it is in relation to other things.

By the way, what is your per night price range in CM? That will help us recommend other places if need be.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 05:50 AM

There are 13 reviews of this property on tripadviser.com - its a 5 minute tuk-tuk ride from its location on the Ping River to the center of town, according to several posters on that site.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

thanx for the link Craig, i chked the reviews and it seems the hotel tries hard to please!

Kathie -
we have been to Thailand in August 06 (CM, BKK and KS) and loved it so much that we are planning a trip this May with our 11 yr old son.
we are trying to make this trip a cheaper one, and utilizing all points available to us. we have frequent flyer and got tickets for less than $400 (from Israel!) and have Hilton and Sofitel points.

we will stay at the Millenium Hilton in BKK (points) - we were quite pleased with it last time, it was ok. we figure we'll stay at Sofitel in CM (points)and then find a hotel that we'd have to cover in Hua Hin.
we hope HH is the right choice for our beach destination. we liked KS, but would love something quieter, and like the idea of taking a car their and not flying (extra expense...)
we only have 2 weeks and want to spend 5 nights in CM, then 3 nights in HH and then 5 nights in BKK.
do you think 3 nights in HH is enough?

anyway, we are not set on any of the hotels yet, and can still revise hotels/locations.. would appreciate comments.

for the location that we would have to pay for hotels, i'd like to find something around $100 per night.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 12:54 PM

The Sofitel in Hua Hin is lovely, and would be considerably more expensive than the Sofitel in Chiang Mai. You might see if you can use your points in Hua Hin. It will be easier to find inexpensive places to stay in Chiang Mai. One place that many people on the board enjoy in Baan Orapin in Chiang Mai. It's a small place, a bed and breakfast, and gets rave reviews. Prices are under $100.

Craig, I always forget about Trip Advisor. I don't think I've seen any reviews of the Sofitel here on Fodors.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

i saw the site for the Sofitel HH. i know its gotten rave reviews, but it doesnt have the Thai feel to it.. i just wasnt excited by the pics! doesnt it look more european?

Last time in CM we stayed at the Yaang Come Village, which was beautiful.. i see their prices went up... hhhmmm...
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Original Poster

anyone know if the Sofitel in CM is walking distance to the night market? (i am trying to figure location....)
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 11:52 PM

No, not unless you're a real power walker. It's not far, but definitely too far to comfortably walk.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

thank you Michael - i needed to know that!!!
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 01:05 AM
Original Poster

MichalBKK:
i really need to know how long it would take us to walk one way from night market in CM to the Sofitel. an aproximation - 20 minutes? 30 minutes? is it a safe walk?
there will be one night that we will be going to the Night Market area and will not be able to drive/cab back, we'll need to walk... so need to figure out if we can indeed stay at the Sofitel...
please please respond!!
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 05:30 AM

The Sofitel in HH is designed like a railroad hotel in Europe from the 1930's. It is wonderfully situated and very nice. I highly recommend it.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 04:26 PM

Why would you not be able to take a tuk-tuk or songtaew? That doesn't make sense.

I would guess that it's at least a 30 minute walk. You might want to check with the hotel. They might have a regular van serve to and from the night bazaar. Their web site also mentions a boat service.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 05:05 PM

You should also factored in the chances of getting loss while walking back. Always safer to get a taxi or tuk tuk.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 07:57 PM

It is about 2kms to the night market so as Michael says a good 30+ minute walk. So take a tuk tuk, so much easier.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

decided against the sofitel... too far from city center. we'd rather be in the middle of things.
also - we are jewish and keep shabbat, so we need walking distance to Chabad House, which is close to the night market...

we hope to be booking the De Naga for 6 nights in CM....
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 04:15 AM

I believe the Imperial mae Ping is within a block of the Chabod. It might suit your needs