Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Snow in Japan or Korea for family on very tight budget ?

Sep 16th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

I think I have asked this question about this time every year but now it looks like we 'have to do it'!

Ok, we are talking snow in Japan ( or maybe Korea ), some nice family place where those of us on a Thai style income could affod ( within reason ).
Flights I know about but it is somewhere that the kids ( who have never had a snowball fight ) would be thrilled at.

Can anyone direct me to those places that you see in the photos of snow, pine trees and amazing scenery plus hopefully reasonable family accommodation, we are looking at about 5 days as plan to do HK Disney on the way back, preferred Airport as we can get direct flights from Bangkok: Tokyo, osaka, Fukuoka, Nagoya ( sorry I am totally ignorant on Japan ), and Seoul, Busan in Korea.
Sep 16th, 2005, 07:45 AM

where was the winter olympics in japan held a couple of years ago..? that place may be good....

Sep 16th, 2005, 07:53 AM

I know nothing about Japan, but I am so bored right now sitting in my office, that I would rather do random internet searches for Fodorites, than work on the projects on my desk.

So, this sight seems to have a wide range of accomodation, maybe it will be useful to you:
www.snowjapan.com/e/hotel/index.html
Sep 16th, 2005, 08:00 AM
emd

I've always wanted to go to the amazing snow festival in Sapporo. Check that out. Looks like incredible fun for the kids too. I went to a similar ice festival outside Montral once and it was so much fun- but this one in Sapporo is all made out of snow.

Nagano is where the Winter Olympics were held.
Sep 16th, 2005, 08:00 AM
emd

oops, I meant Montreal
Sep 16th, 2005, 08:08 AM
emd

See the text and amazing pics at:
http://www.snowfes.com/english/place/index.html
Sep 16th, 2005, 08:08 AM
emd

dates are Feb. 6 - 12 this year.
Sep 16th, 2005, 08:31 AM

lol. good post.
Sep 16th, 2005, 08:51 AM

Hello my friend,

Do you know of a reliable travel and tour company in Japan I can contact with regarding our Group's travel to Japan soon?

If you know of any company, please email it to me at [email protected].

Thank you and best regards.
Sep 16th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Orgy, what yer doing in on a friday night?
Too much rain?
I've got an excuse, I'm working ( well looking at funny flashing lights anyway)
Cruiseinred and others, wow, thanks for the amazing response, had a look at that Snow in Japan site and looks great, I have put this off for at least 2 years and I guess this year we 'must' do it, I am so tempted when you see those sights of Japan in Winter, so magical.
Sep 16th, 2005, 09:06 AM

I thought you went up norht last year you I remember you posting about showing the kids snow last year....
----------
yes the rain did get me and yes im full of chaan and leo right now. if ya cant tell.
Sep 16th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Heineken here !
Sep 16th, 2005, 06:48 PM

how about the hills above hua hin....lots of snow there in january...

just kidding....wish i could help you as you help all of us so much...someone will come through...mr wonderful?? kimjapan??
Sep 16th, 2005, 07:15 PM

Well...in Japan there is plenty of snow. And there are certainly ways to do it within reasonable budget constraints. January, February and the first part of March are the snowiest, and for obvious reasons, the more mountainous areas get more of the white stuff. You could fly into Tokyo, Osaka or Nagoya and easily take a train or another plane to the "snowy" places.

Nagano prefecture is filled with ski resorts...that's where the winter olympics were. We have a fair number of ski areas around Kanazawa as well. Two winters ago we had a week long snow that finished with snow piled up to the roof. Hokkaido is supposed to be lovely...never been there though.

I'll be happy to help you find reasonable accommodation. Often the most reasonable places are either not online at all, or only in Japanese. Often, the Japanese price is cheaper than the English price. Since the trip is a couple of years out, I'll start bookmarking interesting looking places for you as I come across them.

Sep 17th, 2005, 07:05 AM

Sapporo also hosted a a winter olympics some time back and you should be able to fly there nonstop to and/or from Hong Kong. Sapporo New Chitose airport code is CTS.

If skiing is not a necessity then there is a lot of Japan that you can visit. In addition to the cities already mentioned, you may also be able to fly into Toyama airport (TOY) like I did from Seoul last January. It was snowing heavily when I arrived in Toyama. From there I had a wonderful visit in Kanazawa then took the train to Takaoka to get a bus to Shirakawago.

Undoubtedly, Shirakawago is one of the snowy Japan places that you've seen. It is famous for the gassho zukuri farmhouses. The snow was not very deep, I was told, only about 2 meters.

Getting to S-go from Takaoka involved a 2.5 hour ride on a city bus and it was not pleasant. There was a tour bus there, I think from Nagoya.

I suppose Nagoya might be better for visiting S-go. You could easily take the train or bus from Nagoya to Takayama. Surely there would be snow there, but there are mountains to the east, just in case. You should also be able to get a bus for a day trip or overnight to Shirakawago from Takayama.

You could make an overnight stop in Gero onsen, on the line between Nagoya and Takayama, for a soak.

Takayama has some inexpensive lodging. The Sosuke minshuku is one such place.

Takayama, Gero, and Shirakawago are part of the Chubu region of Japan which covers most of the Japan Alps region. You can also find snow in a day-trip from Tokyo (if there is not already snow in Tokyo), but you would find less expensive lodging away from the city. Also, I think you might want to avoid the ski resorts during high season, especially on weekend days.