Slow Boat Cruise to Laung Prabang

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2019, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Comments please on Slow Boat to Laung Prabang starting at Huay Xai or starting at Pakbeng. We are in Chiang Mai. I think if we go to Chiang Rai to Huay Xai then to Laung Prabang it would be2 days on the river and if we start at Pakbeng it would be 1 day Chiang Mai to Pakbeng by bus then 1 day on the river. Would like to here from someone who has done either one and what u paid would be good to compare what I get offered. We are at Jimmy and Jeng Guesthouse in Chiang Mai 10 minute walk to Phae Gate and Jimmy and Na the host and hostess are the best u will get.
Warren
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 12:51 AM

I reckon the best info on the Slow Boat is current info. Best bet for that is on Trip Advisor forum Laos or Thailand Forums
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 08:16 AM

There are number of Fodorites who have done the Luang Say cruise. There are reports here, though the search function seems to be not functioning well. One person reported having made a reservation just days before the departure and getting a fabulous price on the cruise. Any travel agent in Chiang Mai can make a reservation for you and provide anything else you need - transport to the cruise, etc.

I'd recommend doing the two-night cruise rather than the bus and cruise combo.

Enjoy!
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 12:03 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kathie
I'd recommend doing the two-night cruise rather than the bus and cruise combo.
I think that's a 2 day / 1 night cruise, or was when I did it, staying at Luang Say's own "resort" in Pakbeng. That was my 2nd time down the river to Luang Prabang. The first time was one of the backpacker freight boats, also from Huay Xia with a stop overnight in Pakbeng, hotel or guesthouse, which I also enjoyed very much too but an altogether different crowd & experience.
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 11:47 PM

We didn’t do a cruise as such and it was a while ago. We hired a private boat and sailed from Huay Xai to LP. I say private, it was just a big boat and the boat man did bring his extended family! The family part was fun, the kids were great and his wife was a fantastic cook. We stayed overnight in Pakbeng.

The major problem we had was that it was the height of the burning season so the banks of the river were ablaze most of the way. Te smoke was terrible. If you are going now, it shouldn’t be a problem as the burning doesn’t usually start until Feb. If you are in CM now and it is not smoky, you will be fine.

Without the smoke I am sure it would have been a great journey, do come back and share your experience.

That was a few years ago and the cost for the boat was $3-400. It is easy enough to arrange a boat in Huayxai but it may take a while.
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

Change in plans

Because of flights we have cancelled plans for boat right now. Left Chiang Mai to day and are in Pai for a few days.