Sim Card for Myanmar

Old Feb 17th, 2015, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sim Card for Myanmar

I'm headed for Myanmar next Monday. I have heard lots of differing statements on buying a sim card in Myanmar. Things have changed dramatically relative to telecoms in the last several months. Has anyone purchased a sim card at the airport or elsewhere? Did you need documentation like in the "old days", (e.g: copy of visa and passport photo ) or can you just buy it like anywhere else now that there are so many telecoms?

I'll let you know how it goes when I get back along with, I'm sure, more pictures than you will ever want to see : )
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 02:47 PM

Have a great trip, Boston. I'm looking forward to reading your trip report and seeing the wonderful slide show.
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 03:28 PM

Ditto Marija. I was there in 2005 and from reading here and elsewhere, the changes are huge. It may be my favorite trip ever. Enjoy!
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Marija and Wintersp. I'm excited. Everyone has been so generous with their tips and their insights. And I have read almost all the trip reports and the photos gave me some great ideas.

I'm on an intensive 14 day photography trip with six other photographers and two photo experts--one of whom is Burmese. And, yes, as suggested, I'm taking a balloon ride in Bagan and we are spending time in Mrauk U. A good friend from MN is meeting me in Yangon

I also used a "miles awards service" tip from another Fodors member to score a mix of Business and First Class flat bed tickets on Swiss, Thai and Cathay Pacific---round trip BOS->RGN for a total of 180,000 miles. I used BookYourAward.com and was really happy with both their response and results. Great routing and short layovers. I could not be happier. So, a BIG thanks to whoever told me about them.
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 08:44 AM

I bought and used an MPT SIM last month.
Loads of feedback here, including links to other threads and the MPT website
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTop...on_Region.html
SS
Old Feb 20th, 2015, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Silverswinner. That's exactly what I needed. I'll get MPT card. Perfect.