Single Woman Travelling to India

Oct 1st, 2000, 09:50 AM
Meeta

Single Woman Travelling to India

I am planning a trip to New Delhi and Mumbai, and I wanted to find out if anyone can give advice to a single female traveler (do's & dont's). I am of Indian origin, but born/raised here in the US...and will be travelling alone for the first time.

I appreciate any advice!

Thanks,
Meeta Dhillon

Oct 3rd, 2000, 07:22 PM
Jayelle

Try visiting the site www.journeywoman.com. There is information about this very topic available there.

Oct 6th, 2000, 08:30 PM
Stephanie

Hi Meeta
I will be watching your replies as I am leaving for India on October 30 for one month - staying a day in Mumbai then to Hyderabad, to join my husband. First trip to India and need to acquaint myself with local customs. When are you going?
I travelled to Indonesia alone in March, no problem.

Oct 9th, 2000, 07:47 AM
Amit Kesari

Hi Meeta,
It is nice to read that, you are visiting India. Dont worry about the Situation in India, specially in Bombay. I suggest you make a Note or some kind of List of your Friends with their Phone Numbers and Addresses first. You never know when they are required. Always, Repeat always, first take a visit to the nearest Indian Government Tourist Office, and collect the Brochures or the Information, which are needed to plan your Trip. Wear the best Indian Dresses, specially like Churidars or may be a Jeans with top or top with skirt, whichever is suitable to you and comfortable. Always ask as many as 5 to 6 people and cross check the details.
Try to plan your Trip in such a manner, so that you can enjoy the Diwali or X'mas during these days or may be you can visit any Fairs or Festivals during your Stay in Bombay.
Are you planning a Business Trip or for Pleasure? In Delhi, You msut visit Ranthambhore (Wild Life-Where Clinton visited) or Sariska or go to Rajasthan after Delhi. As a Foreigner, there are seperate Booking Counters at Railway Stations. Carry Travellers Cheques instead of Cash. Keep in touch with email with your Friends. Internet Facility is available everywhere.
While in Bombay, do visit "Elephanta" which is a must. Everythind depends on your Planning or for how many days you are in Bombay and in Delhi....

I am from Bombay and looking after a website named: www.world66.com/India
where you will find more details. You can email me anytime and I will help you out.

Amit Kesari

Oct 9th, 2000, 03:17 PM
Manju

Meeta,
I am assuming that you would have already researched (or plan to) the
usual "tourist" info and are only interested in some practical information that
you normally wouldn't find in the "books".

For a single tourist woman in India,
I think, from a safety perspective,
it would be prudent to dress "conservatively". I hate to generalise,
but from my own experience, I have found
(even in cosmopolitan cities) that people are more given to ogling at women
folk and most people tend to make morality judegements based on the way people dress.
As always, its wise to avoid lonely
areas, exposed fruits/sweets and embrace the diversity and uncertainity of the moment.

I don't know if I am opening up myself for flames here but just my $0.02

-Manju

Oct 18th, 2000, 08:29 AM
Ami

Hi Meeta,

I am a 23 yr old female and came back in may from a 6 month long trip to india. I have to say that it was the most challenging trip of my life, but I am already looking forward to doing it all over again.
I was born in india, but raised in america. I think what made this trip very challenging is: a) it was my first very long trip alone b) I actually agreed to live with family there. Living with family I didn't know under conditions that I wasn't used to was a very frightening experience for me. at times, I thought I would never find my way back to new york from my family's the little town in gujarat. In other words, be realistic. It's important to experience rural india, but you'll feel a lot more safe, secure and comfortable sticking with other travelers. Definately take the off the beaten paths, but don't fool yourself into thinking you're completely indian.

Delhi is definitely easy to get around in and so is mumbai. The new delhi railway station is repulsive, especially in the early morning hours and late nights. Don't stay in the Phargange area which is right near the railway station...the hotels are cheap but seedy. If you're taking an early morning train out of town and need to stay in Phargange, then there is one that I vaguely remember to be good. The name of the hotel is Captin something or another. I'm sorry I can't remember the name, but it's very popular so if you do some research you'll be able to find it. Also, there is a VIP lounge for tourist so pay the extra 40 RS. to have your porter take you straight to the lounge and promise him an extra tip if he sticks around to help you find your seat and place your luggage in the train.

Victoria station in Mumbai is not so bad even at night it seemed pretty safe to me. They have a resting area where beds and rooms are available for a very reasonable price. Whenever in Mumbai, I always stayed at hotel Sangeet (?) which is minutes from the Gateway of India and a few doors down from the Taj hotel. This area is nice, but expensive. If you're on a budget, I've heard that the YMCA is also good bargin and a very popular stop for travelers from all walks of life.

Bring a guidebook with you that suites your travel style, and go with an open mind and a lot of patience.

If you have any more questions, please write to me at [email protected] or [email protected].

Enjoy your trip,
Ami