Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Singapore - where to go from here? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/singapore-where-to-go-from-here-864733/)

ptygrl Oct 28th, 2010 07:40 PM

Singapore - where to go from here?

We are taking a cruise that ends in Singapore and wanted to spend some time here for a day and then go onto where?

The cruise stops in Vietnam and Thailand so we are looking for something to do and see for a few days before we head home to Europe..

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Cicerone Oct 28th, 2010 07:56 PM

If you could provide some more info it would help people here to provide responses:

- what time of year is the cruise?
-how many days would you have to add on to a trip?
-what are your interests, e.g. city or beach, museums or jungles
-do you want to fly somewhere or drive? If flying, how many hours would be optimal for you? Can you fly home out of a second destination or are your air tickets out of Singapore and are can’t be changed?
-is your cruise only to Vietnam and Thailand?

I would say Singapore deserves more than a day. You also might want to consider returning to Thailand to see the many parts you won’t see on a cruise.

Kathie Oct 29th, 2010 06:29 AM

I notice you are also the person who asked what there is to do in Hong Kong.

Here is some help on how to use the forums:

You can look at posts about just one country by using the drop-down menu above. You will find trip reports, questions like your own and lots of good advice.

But if you know nothing at all about your destination, even the most detailed posts won't give you the context you need - so get a guidebook for each of your destinations. Learn a bit about the culture and history and what kinds of things people generally like to do and see in a place.

If you want recommendations about where else to go, you need to tell us what you are looking for: a beach? great shopping? temples? hilltribes? And how long to do have to stay there?

ptygrl Oct 29th, 2010 06:31 AM

We arrive in Singapore April 3rd

1- 7 days we can add on after the cruise

History, Culture and Food - not big into shopping

We can fly to Europe from any city

No driving

Yes, just Vietnam and Thailand

HappyTrvlr Oct 29th, 2010 08:42 AM

What do you see from cruise ship in Thailand and VietNam?

LAleslie Oct 29th, 2010 12:57 PM

Singapore is great for food. Try some of the "hawkers" stands sprinkled all over the city. Look for the stands that are the most popular and point and order what looks good.

Another add-on that's easy to get to from Singapore is Kuala Lumpur. Look it up.

I'd give Hong Kong more than 3 days, but I don't know what you want, how long your attention span is, how much you like big cities, or don't.

ptygrl Oct 29th, 2010 03:08 PM

We will be seeiing these ports and have overnights. Rememeber a cruise is a "taste" of these areas to see if we like them and want to return.

What we are looking for is the pre and post travel on land

Haiphong (Hanoi) Vietnam
Ha Long Bay Vietnam
Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam
Laem Chabang (Bangkok)
Ko Samui Thailand

Kathie Oct 29th, 2010 03:57 PM

A couple of thoughts...

One option would be to see a bit of one of the countries you are visiting briefly on your cruise. If this part of the world is new to you, Thailand is the more accessible of the two and has better infrastructure. Bangkok is a city with lots to see and do. I don't know what your cruise tour is like, but figuring you have, at most, one day, there would be plenty to interest you. More wats (Buddhist temples)? There are many dozens worth seeing. Shopping? endless. Food? amazing. The Jim Thompson House Museum is excellent, and I recommend the Prasart for those interested in SE Asian arts and antiques. You could easily spend 4-5 days there.

Hanoi is the more interesting of the two VN cities you are visiting, so you could go there for a few days.

Or, if you want somewhere new, you could fly from Singapore to Bali for a week. Divide your time between a beach location and inland near Ubud.

marmot Oct 29th, 2010 06:19 PM

I like Singapore but for me 2 to 3 days is usually enough before it gets a bit claustrophic.

Bali would be a lovely way to end your introduction to Asia. Denpasar is a 2.5+ hour flight from Singapore. Outbound connections to Europe are plentiful.

Bali can be as relaxing or as ambitious as you like. Lots to do and see and lots of options in accommodations.

LAleslie Oct 29th, 2010 06:31 PM

Bali's a great idea if you want to relax after the hubbub of big Asian cities. Or return to Ko Samui, very laid back. I agree 2 or 3 days is enough for Singapore. Same with KL. I do love Saigon (HCM City) and wanted more than just two days there.

Craig Oct 30th, 2010 02:21 AM

I also agree that Bali would be a good choice - great culture, history and food, exactly what you are looking for...

Cicerone Nov 2nd, 2010 03:18 AM

As you are going to be in Singapore, I would definitely suggest at least 2 nights there. So that leaves you with about 5 days.

The ports of both Hanoi and Bangkok are at least an hour by car from the actual cities (Hanoi I believe is more than 2 hours from its port), so even with an overnight in each (is that on board the ship or in a hotel?) you won’t get to see much. I would first think about going back to Hanoi and Bangkok to actually see them. Would not bother going back to Ho Chi Minh. You will see a good bit of the Vietnamese coast on this cruise, so perhaps Bangkok makes more sense and also there is better non-stop air service from Bangkok to Europe than from Vietnam (other than some non-stops to France). 5 days is a nice amount of time to be able to see a good bit of the city and do things like the day boat trip to Ayutthaya. Song Kran, the spring water festival, will be celebrated in mid-April in 2011 and while you may miss the actual holiday, you may see some of the run-up to it.

You could easily go to Ankor Wat or Lunag Prabang with 5 days (may be a bit too long in LP, but perhaps then do 3 days in Singapore and 4 in LP). The new year is celebrated in Cambodia in mid-April, so you may see some of the run-up to that as well.

You could also do trips from Singapore like going up to Malacca in Malaysia for a night or two. This is just a few hours drive or bus ride from Singapore and offers colonial history and architecture. Penang/Georgetown would be another good choice, this would be a flight (or perhaps train ride) from Singapore. You could also include cool hill regions like Genting Highlands or Fraser’s Hill for tea plantations. Or go to a jungle area like Taman Negara. Or go to Borneo and climb Mt Kinabalu, river raft for “headhunters” and see the bats in the Miri caves. The east coast beaches of Malaysia are wonderful, but you will see some of those on the cruise down from Bangkok, so I probably would leave them out. The weather in most all of Malaysia is very good in April.

I agree that Bali would work well, as may other parts of Indonesia like Yogyakarta (although they are currently having some volcano issues). With 5 days you could see a lot without feeling rushed as you may be in other places.

You could also pick a city in the PRC like Beijing, Xian, Guilin or the Kunming/Lijiang area and go there. The PRC is huge, so with 5 days I would not try to go more than one place. But it would offer a contrast to Vietnam and Thailand.

Japan in April could be very nice as well. That can be a longish flight from SE Asia, but then should be easy to get flights to Europe. With 5 days I might skip Tokyo or do it for 1 night (just hit the cherry blossoms if they are in bloom) and go to Hakone or Kyoto.

joecher Nov 3rd, 2010 12:39 PM

Hi there,
This should take at least a couple of days.
I have broken it down into your preference:

History - Worthwhile going to National Museum of Singapore
http://www.nationalmuseum.sg/nms/nms_html/index.asp
Food - Nearby: There is a restaurant worth going for lunch or dinner called Rendezvous Restaurant, check out the website
http://www.rendezvous-hlk.com.sg/home.html

Bonus: Around that area, the famous Raffles Hotel is situated along the main street, if you fancy afternoon tea, try it at Ah Teng's bakery, they serve local food which is quite good. Or the Singapore Sling (I think it is over-rated, however, you might like to try it)

Food - Avoid food courts that are situated in shopping centres, the food are not that great especially around Orchard Road. Instead visit food centre that are situated around housing estates (where there are mini cities within Singapore, check out Bedok Interchange food centre, MRT station - Bedok. The variety of food there is awesome, or check out Newton Circus(MRT station)

Culture -
1. Singapore is a melting pot of culture, take the MRT and check out Little India, Chinatown, be prepared to walk and perspire. Make sure you have wet wipes, and packets of tissue paper wherever you go. They are quite handy. Food in Chinatown and Little India are plentiful and authentic.

2. Take a tour around the Singapore River: http://www.viator.com/Singapore-attr...River/d18-a142

3. Haw Par Villa, best to take a cab there, cab is cheap in Singapore.
http://www.newasia-singapore.com/pla...070601105.html

4. Kampong Glam is a sea of sounds and colours. Originally a fishing village at the mouth of the Rochor River, it was the historic seat of Malay royalty in Singapore. Today, you can still see where the Istana Kampong Glam (the Sultan's Palace) stands or step into Sultan Mosque, the biggest mosque in Singapore with the capacity to accommodate up to 5,000 Muslims in congregational prayers. Look out for the Arab cloth merchants with their delicate silks and velvets, food stores selling traditional Arab-Muslim food stuff and merchandise of all kinds.

Getting There: Take the MRT to Bugis Station (EW12) and walk along Victoria Street towards Arab Street.

I hope that helps!

ptygrl Nov 4th, 2010 07:00 PM

WOW - everyone has been great - looks like we are going to go into Thailand for few days

Mahalo

marionlgy Dec 1st, 2010 04:01 AM

Singapore is pretty good attraction in Asia where unique culture outstanding beauty with plenty of popular destinations are located which attract tourist and visitors comes from all over the world especially for Sentosa, Singapore Zoo, Universal Studios, Chinatown and Boat Quay are the main tourist’s attraction.