Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Singapore travel tips... (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/singapore-travel-tips-668666/)

Jaylin Jan 9th, 2007 09:25 AM

Singapore travel tips...

HI,

My husband and I are planning a 3 day stopover in Singapore on our way to New Zealand in November. Just wondering if anyone had suggestions on the best places to stay and vist...Chinatown, Marina, Little India, Orchard etc?

Thankyou, J.

rkkwan Jan 9th, 2007 10:00 AM

They're all pretty close to each other. You should compare specific hotels rather than area.

Kathie Jan 9th, 2007 11:08 AM

For me, one of the important considerations for a hotel in Singapore is proximity to the MRT. The MRT is great, convenient, fast, easy way to get around.

Guenmai Jan 9th, 2007 12:02 PM

Yes, stay near an MRT station. Buy an MRT card and when you get ready to leave Singapore, just go back to the MRT station and ask for a refund of the unused portion.

What's your price range for a hotel? The location of the Fullerton is great and it's a great hotel and also the Raffles Plaza Hotel in the 4-5 star price range. Although I've stayed at a few different hotels in Singapore, I usually stay at the YMCA International House Hotel at 1,Orchard Road next to the Dhoby Gaut MRT station. It's in the heart of things and is very clean. There's also a pool and the price is around US$55.00 for a room for one or two people. Happy Travels!

Jaylin Jan 21st, 2007 04:49 AM

Thanks for the advice...

alittlehop Feb 1st, 2007 09:39 PM

hello,

you might get some ideas about where to visit and what to see here

www.travellingbazaar.com/singapore%201.html

hope it helps.

paiger604 Feb 2nd, 2007 06:34 AM

Jaylin,

I just spent a month traveling through SE Asia - I have family in Singapore so a majority of the time I was there - Definitely visit Chinatown - you can do Chinatown and Little India in the same day but, personally, I didn't think Little India was worth it. The Marina is beautiful and there are a range of restaurants (including an outdoor food market) where you can eat - or their new 360 water park where you can wakeboard etc if that interests you. Orchard Rd - if you like shopping - even window shopping - can take all day - it's ridiculous - lots of cafeterias in the bigger shopping malls with reasonably priced great tasting food.
I stayed with family so not much help there but make sure you go down to the Quay (pronounced Key) and walk around the bars and restaurants at night - or head over to Raffles Hotel to try the famous Singapore Sling (the life or death of singapore depending on how one looks at it). It originated at this hotel apparently so it is a little pricey - but absolutely yummy and they usually have live music. I suggest posting your experience on www.culturecloud.com under Asia in the travel section when you return bcs you can upload pictures of the trip too - definitely check it out! Enjoy your trip!

travelmom13 Feb 2nd, 2007 01:38 PM

My husband and I stayed at the Ritz there. They had a special running that made it worthwhile. It is not the in the heart of things, but near a good Hawker food stand that was VERY clean and had great food options.
We also did the Night Safari and DEFINITLY recommend that as an activity. We were skeptical because we have been to many great zoos...but this is so unique. If you go, make sure to see the flying squirrels and go in the bat habitat. Unlike anything we have ever done or seen!
We also did the botanical gardens. My husband likes that kind of stuff...I don't as much. MAKE SURE you go early in the morning before it gets too hot and muggy. I was miserable walking in the sticky heat.

Jaylin Feb 3rd, 2007 06:54 AM

Thankyou all for your suggestions, really like the sound of the night zoo and the singapore sling!