Singapore to Mumbai late Feb 2005

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Singapore to Mumbai late Feb 2005

Off to Singapore for a quickie/sortie and like a flash, decided to detour to Mumbai for a couple of weeks.

We loved India so much we can't stay away!!

Anyone out there know which cheap airlines fly to Mumbai or Delhi from Singapore. We checked out Singapore Airlines online and they want a bucketload of bucks for the trip to Mumbai. We can fly cheaply to BKK and pick up a flight from there but would rather fly direct from Singapore. Any feedback greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 09:18 PM
AEL

We know Singapore airline charge higher fare, but the service is really fantastic. We just returned from South Africa flying SQ, and the service was extraordinary, they even serve chilled white wine! If you want total comfort, best service and a good safe flight, you should try Singapore airline, I think you will get hook to it!
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you AEL for the suggestion, however even Indian Airlines serve chilled white wine. I really appreciate your input, however I would much rather save a hundred bucks than drink chilled white wine, although I have been known to drink one or two, occasionally. I also like vodka and became much accustomed to it when we were travelling in India. The local stuff over there is called "White Mischief" and gives quite a kick, if you know what I mean. 80 rupees for 3 days supply, held together with a dash of lemonade & a slice of lime. Thanks again & happy travels to you.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 11:52 PM

I assume you have already tried Air India and not found better prices. You might also consider taking a taxi up to Johor Bahru and getting a Malaysian Airlines flight (you may have to change again in KL.) Flights out of JB airport are generally much cheaper, even adding in the taxi fare from S'pore. Take a look at the website for Malayasian Airlines at http://www.malaysiaairlines.com.my

You could also try the local paper and travel agents once you get to S'pore for special offers, if you can be flexible with your departure dates. Get a copy of The Straits Times, which is the main English-language newspaper in Singapore. They have a website at http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/, but I am not sure all the ads appear on the website version.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 12:44 AM
Original Poster

Tks Cicerone. You always post helpful info and I much appreciate the logic! I can buy the Times at a Sydney newsagency so will check it out before we fly. I could not access the Air India webpage, after several attempts. I will check out Malaysian Airlines as my husband suggested they might be cheap and we have flown them before and liked their service. I hoped that Air Deccan or Air Asia or Tiger Air might do the run to/from Singapore but not so. Thanks again. Happy 2005.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 03:31 AM

Try this site, I have used them for fares ex Singapore, shows all the options and probably has goon SQ fares too.

www.airfares.com.sg
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 03:45 AM

Sorry I meant "good" fares! Malaysia Airlines and Thai also have fares ex SIN changing at KL or BKK.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Tks James A. Will check it out. Best of luck.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 03:40 PM

Strange you mention Indian Airlines coz Bombay-Singapore may be one of the sctors they fly! Check their site. I managed to log onto Air India so maybe it is up now. Other options for getting to Mumbai cheap include - book a ticket Singapore-Calcutta on one of the international carriers, who ever gives you the best fare. Then use www.indiatimes.com to buy a calcutta-mumbai cheaop ticket on Sahara or Indian Airlines (jet discounts the least I think). is the same airport so you will not have too many problems, just a bit of a layover.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Hi hobbes-tks very much for the info.

Just a quick update-Cicerone's idea of travel from Johor Bahru to Mumbai via KL on Malaysian has yielded the best price. I sent Malaysian an email to confirm we can pick up the air tickets at JB airport as the tickets appear to be paper ones, not e-tickets.

Malaysian's website is excellent however when we finally got to the credit card payment section we noticed the hitch with the ticket delivery address. The options were either Malaysian airport desks or business offices in the cities. Our preferred travel day is a Sunday so we're hoping we can just call in to MAS' desk at JB airport, collect our tickets and be on our way. Will post further. Thanks a lot everyone for the excellent input.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 06:25 PM

just a note on getting to jb airport from singapore...it may not be this way now but here is how we did it cheaply...

we took a taxi to the novotel in singapore....from there there is a regular bus directly to the jb airport...very cheap....you have to stop in the middle of the bridge, take all your stuff out of the bus and do immigration which is a pain and then get back in the bus....the airport was a mad place....all open air and very informal...be prepared..

bob
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks bob. We will fit in just fine if JB airport is anything like Delhi Railway Station! Still waiting on MAS' reply re ticket delivery. Catch you later.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

MAS did not reply to my email so I phoned them in KL! Tickets can be picked up at JB airport 3 hrs before flight. No problems!

Tks to advice here, especially Cicerone, we now have a return fare ex JB to Mumbai via KL for AUD510 pp inc tax. Our Syd/Sing fare was AUD764 pp return inc tax so total of AUD1274 for Syd/Mumbai return inc tax. We have saved around AUD 330 pp (compared to best price Syd/Mumbai/Syd on the web from Australia, including the cost of return bus or taxi from Chiangi to JB!!

Amazing stuff, I reckon.

Thanks you guys!!!! Hope I can assist each and every one of you somehow, this year, and each year we are lucky enough to remain on this planet!
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 06:17 PM

Hi Lyn
You mentioned your trip is on Sunday to JB. Becareful to cater additional 2 hours for the jam at the causeway customs on singapore side. Since there is a lot of malaysian returning back after work there is a jam daily. Jam hours are normally between 5pm to 10pm everyday. This is even worse on saturday & sunday when others beside the workers return home after visiting friends/relatives in singapore.

Unless you manage to taxi which travel through the 2nd link which is empty most of the time but this option may cost a lot more. I am not sure of the cost here but then again many taxis wont want to use way.

Even if your departure is earlier timing, I would strongly advise you to cater 1 or 2 hours just to be on the safe side as I have seen myself there are jams apparently for no reasons on the singapore side of the coustoms at the causeway.

Have a good trip
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

s6656-much appreciate your kind advice and tks a lot for the info.

We arrive Changi 0400 from Sydney and fly from JB at 1600 so will have enough time. Did not even consider traffic jams on Sundays, but would normally allow 3 hours travel time just to be safe!

We planned on taking a hotel room in the city after our arrival or taking a shower & breakfast at Changi airport 3 hr rooms then taking a taxi or bus to JB. Bob recommended a cheap way to get to JB airport via Novotel shuttle so we thought of staying there, when we arrive. What would you do, given the above. Any advice much appreciated. Do you live in Singapore?
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 04:56 PM

Hi Lyn
You should follow Bob's advice. I remember it cost about $10 then time. You may want to email the hotel to confirm the details.

What are your plans in Singapore? Do you want to rest in your room and then go to JB or you want to some shopping? There is nothing around the hotel area but you can take a taxi or bus to get around. It may take about 20mins by bus to reach Orchard Rd. There is no train facility around this hotel.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Gday s6656- We won't want to do any shopping so will probably try for a power nap and wait until the shuttle departs. The Novotel is now called Copthorne Orchid. The cheapest rate I found is on direct rooms.com for US 64 inc taxes. I've emailed directrooms and asked them if they can ask hotel re a day room as we only need a room for 6 hours or so.

Other options I've since researched are express bus to JB from Queen St Bus Stn commencing at 0630 going to Larkin Bus terminal in JB. We could then pick up a taxi to Sultan Ismail Airport in JB. The express bus looks pretty cheap at S2.40 each plus a S2.40 ticket for our luggage! Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 10:20 PM

The other option is to take the MRT (www.smrt.com.sg)from the Airport to Kranji Station. From there you can take a taxi to the JB Airport. If you don't have much laggage then you can take the bus across. You can get some sleep at the Transit Hotel and then arrange your time accordinging to suit the flight. You may have to check if transit hotel allows you as you are not waiting for the transit.

Or you may look for a hotel in JB and take a nap there. You would not be caught in any jams and this gives you more time. You can get a malaysian taxi at Queens street.
The only problem is that you are arriving at 4am.Singapore Taxis charge a surcharge of 50% until 6am. The MRT also starts after 6am. You can take MRT to Bugis which is just next to Queens Street.

Let me know if you have more questions
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Hi s6656-tks again, you really are helping me so much and I appreciate it very much.

Are you talking about the Transit Hotel at Changi or JB?

I checked www.changiairport.com.sg and there is a day room set up at the Fitness & Lifestyle centre. It's at Terminal 2 above the Sports Arena so thought we'd go there, however your idea of heading straight for JB is a good one. We can always just grab a coffee and a newspaper and wait until the MRT opens then do as you suggested and stay in JB for a few hours. Lots of good alternatives!

When we return from Mumbai, we'll have 2 full days in Singapore. My husband lived there for several years and even though it was 22 years ago, he has his favourite places he wants to re-visit (if they are still around). I've visited twice in the past 20 years so I'm in the same boat as him!

If you had two days to see some sights and do a bit of classy (not souvenir) shopping what/where would you do/see/go?
Thanks, hope you don't mind giving me the benefit of your experiences!!
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 06:00 PM

I was refering to Transit Hotel at Changi. Staying in JB would be a better choice.

Regarding shopping, I can't help you. But if you want you can visit Mustafa Center in Little India. This place is so huge and among the cheaspest in Singpore & all in one roof. Take a look there. You may want to post this as a separte question on this board

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -