Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Singapore to Malaysia Night Train travel
Notices

Singapore to Malaysia Night Train travel

Nov 9th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Singapore to Malaysia Night Train travel

We are planning to visit Malaysia(for 2 days) by Train from Singapore. We were told by the Malaysian Consulate in San Francisco that we can get visa upon arrival at the border(BTW, my country of origin needs visa enter into Malaysia). I would like to know what the experience is going to be.

For example,
1. As we are traveling by the night train, how long the train will stop at the border so that we can take care of the Immigration/Visa matters.
2. What should we expect during the immigration process.
3. Any special thing to note?
4. In general, any experience you can share regaring this will help us during our trip.

Nov 9th, 2006, 09:50 PM

www.seat61.com should give you all the info you need.
Nov 10th, 2006, 01:11 AM

The Singapore -> Malaysia train does not stop at the border per se. Rather, the Singapore train station where you board your KTM train is actually on Malaysian-owned land and you pass through the Malaysian immigration while still technically in Singapore (but on Malaysian land). And then you board your train and proceed to the actual border where the SIngapore immigration checkpoint is situated, and this is where you clear Singapore immigration. In essence, you are cleared to enter Malaysia before you have officially been stamped out of Singapore. It's all very weird.

Anyway, my point is, the modest Malaysian immigration set-up at the Tanjung Pagar KTM train station in Singapore may not have the facilities to organise a visa for you.

In fact, after some quick research, this official website says that you can only get visas on arrival at airports and at the immigration checkpoint at the Johor border (which is accessed by people passing overland in buses and cars, not trains).

http://www.imi.gov.my/eng/perkhidmat...aOnArrival.asp

Your options? Organise your visa prior to your trip. Or take an express bus.

Search this Thread