Lcuy's Third Indian Adventure Oct 2007

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had writers block recently...can’t seem to get trip reports done. I do know that a couple people are waiting for some details on my latest trip to India, so here is a quick summary. I hope to fill in more details later.

Oct 11: Flew Honolulu to Boston to see youngest daughter at school and attend the fabulous Boston GTG.. Stayed at Hotel Commonwealth.

Oct 14: Took Amtrak to NYC to see other daughter. Stayed at On the Ave Hotel. 79th and Broadway. One block to subway, lots of good food nearby. My favorite of the three UWS hotels I’ve tried.

Oct 16: Continental Newark to Delhi non- stop evening flight. Booked late, so only had economy seats. Very full flights.

Oct 17: Radisson Hotel New Delhi. About $400US including airport transfers. Hotel gets away with these prices simply because of their location. Rooms are pleasant.

Oct 18: Air Deccan, Delhi to Shimla. Planes were on time and cost about $150 US round trip

Oct18-22: Stayed at Oberoi Hotel’s Wildflower Hall. It is about 40 minutes outside Shimla, in the foothills of the Himalayas. Great views and climate. Our total bill was about US$1800 for 4 nights, including all meals, transfers, horseback riding, massages, and an all day river rafting trip. Wonderful hotel and staff!

Oct 22: Flew back to Delhi, met at airport by Narender. Cautious and considerate driver. Fountain of knowledge and great companion for our 3 day Agra trip. He had arranged a guide in Agra. US$250 for the whole trip, not including entrance fees.

Oct 22 & 23: Stayed at Oberoi’s Amervilas in Agra. Best hotel anywhere! $1650 including all meals and air or train transfers (tho we didn’t need them). I came away liking Agra this time.

Oct 24-27: Drove back to Delhi. Stayed at the Imperial. Still a beautiful hotel in a great location, but they have cut back on many of their services since my last visit. $2200 for three nights with breakfasts and dinners, including one night at Spice Route. Also included airport transfer.

Touring & Shopping Delhi: We used Narender for two of the days at 1,200 rupees for eight hours. Other times we just flagged taxis, auto-rickshaws or cycle rickshaws.

Oct 28: A 35 hour trip home; Delhi to Newark, seven hour layover in the Continental lounge, then direct flight to Honolulu. Talk about tired of flying....

Weather: Wonderful!! Great month to be in India.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Ooops, forgot to mention that I was traveling with Mr. Lcuy on this trip. He finally decided to see what all my excitement was about!
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 12:15 PM

Thanks! I'm eagerly awaiting more details. Did you like the Spice Route food? Are advance reservations needed?
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 12:19 PM

Great summary - will be looking forward to seeing any details you feel inclined to provide.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Ilove Spice Route and have aten here 3 times in the past, so yes, I love the food, service and the atmosphere. Food is a mix of Thai, Chinese, Indian and even a vietnamese dish. Their chef's special pinapple dessert is really one of my favoirites anywhere!

On weekends or holidays, you'll definitely need reservations. Week nights and very early seatings--Indians eat late-- are easier, but I'd make advance reservations to be sure. This time we set it up one day in advance for Wed or Thurs nightbut still had to come in right at the opening.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 07:20 PM

we had an average, but comparitively expensive meal at spice route....the same meal in other sheratons in india is about 40% less---same menu--agra and jaipur....

anxious to hear lcuy's experience...

sounds like fun....on to singapore!!
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Bob- are you thinking of Bukhara restaurant? That's the one at several of the Sheratons...always attached to .."where the Clintons dined...?
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 04:56 AM

sorry...that is the one....let me look at our book again...
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 05:03 AM

oophs---spice route is the rest. in the imperial....i mixed the two up....it is a fabulous rest.....
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

I was worried if your taste buds had malfunctioned....HaHa...It was only your brain!!!
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 05:32 PM
CFW

Thanks, Lucy. I was one of those waiting..now for the details -- e.g shopping in Delhi, and tell us what made the difference for you in Agra this time? The Oberoi, or having Mr. Lcuy there???

Old Dec 7th, 2007, 05:38 PM
CFW

Oh, and wanted to tell you my DH is joing me on this trip after all...seems he caught the India bug, and has decided back pain or not, he's coming. Am looking into whether there is wheelchair availability at the Taj as I think the walk to get to the building itself may be too much for him. Car and driver everywhere else will make many other places accessible, though I anticipate that there will be some things he can't do, like Amber fort. ANyway, I'm glad he's coming.
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 09:46 PM

CFW, depends on where you are staying. If you are staying at the Oberoi Amarvilas they will make arrangements for the wheelchair and perhaps even supply one of their staff to help out.

Old Dec 7th, 2007, 11:25 PM

Thanks for posting! We have been eagerly awaiting your report
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 01:33 AM

Do I really need to add anything about Bob's brain activity or lack thereof?

Lucy, as you can tell, the report is almost timely, but we are awaiting greater detail. Penalty narrowly avoided.
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 06:36 AM

Glad you had a good trip lcuy - and it was such a pleasure to meet you in person before you left!

Cyn