Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Singapore--The Raffles of The Fullerton (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/singapore-the-raffles-of-the-fullerton-827452/)

jlpx2 Feb 20th, 2010 12:09 PM

Singapore--The Raffles of The Fullerton

We are coming into Singapore for one day before a cruise. Which hotel do you like more--The Raflles or The Fullerton??

Thanks in advance. Jan

Kathie Feb 20th, 2010 01:56 PM

If price was no object, Raffles, no question.

dogster Feb 20th, 2010 07:34 PM

Yup. Simple. The Fullerton is kinda... bleak. If staying there, however, a front, harbor-view room, upper floor, can provide solace. Beautifully designed in a contemporary, Art Deco style - utterly different aesthetic from Raffles. If money ain't the thing... go-o-o-o Raffles.

Smeagol Feb 20th, 2010 10:08 PM

We stayed at Raffles a few years ago and the hotel and service was simply amazing, but then you are paying for it. A great place and if you can spring for the cost go for it.

asdfghjkl Feb 22nd, 2010 02:00 AM

we got married in fullerton last year and the loft suite was amazing. the normal rooms are pretty ordinary (though rather big and spacious) :)

tengohambre Feb 22nd, 2010 04:15 AM

The Raffles has an incredible atmosphere. Like a Somerset Vaughn novel. I too would opt for that. Also a good location.

AskOksena Feb 22nd, 2010 06:54 AM

>>>We are coming into Singapore for one day before a cruise. Which hotel do you like more--The Raflles or The Fullerton??<<<

Greetings, Jan (and you have a fine choice of hotels).

Should you be 'coming into Singapore' via Singapore Airlines R (suites) or F (first), do know that cherished carrier has occasionally offered a free night promo at Raffles for those 'up front' passengers. (Sometimes on the singaporeair.com site, and sometimes via 'private' e-mail for SIA's more frequent travellers.) Nothing to lose by signing up for SQ's newsletter and KrisFlyer programme.

I don't have recent personal experience staying at your two options (once stayed at Raffles as a young boy travelling with family, and the Four Seasons is my main SIN business travel hotel), but will say Raffles does a fine job at putting on wedding receptions. A few months back, we had the honour of attending a reception at that hotel and it was memorable.

Wherever you stay, have fun in a special part of the world.

macintosh (robert)

... Singapore Girl, You're a Great Way to Fly ...

Cicerone Feb 23rd, 2010 05:36 PM

The only complaint I have about the Raffles is that there are no windows in the rooms. Well, there a window and transom at the front, but these all look into an interior courtyard, and as the rooms are rather deep and have a dividing wall between the sitting area and the bedroom, and as there is a verandah in front, the rooms tend to be rather dark in addition to having no view. (I think one or two of the largest suites may look out onto Beach Road, so they have a view, but the rest are interior courtyard rooms.) I am a view gal when it comes to hotel rooms. If a view is important to you, then may not be the hotel for you. (While there is a pretty garden view from the shared verandah area, it doesn’t float my boat. You also can’t see it from the room.) I would agree that the suites at the Fullerton would offer good river/city views. They also have a better-positioned pool in terms of view and wow factor. Both have very good locations. But as it is only for one night, it is not a huge deal really which you choose I would say as you probably won’t be in the room very much. I agree that the history of the Raffles does mean a lot; you could of course go there for a meal or a drink and see a good bit of the public areas, although guests get to go to many areas which are off-limits to non-guests.

inspired_traveller Apr 16th, 2010 08:34 PM

I love the view of the city from the swimming pool of the Fullerton Hotel. But still, I prefer the Raffles for the overall experience.