Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Singapore Restaurant Emergency! (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/singapore-restaurant-emergency-438333/)

marmot Sep 22nd, 2008 04:30 PM

Singapore Restaurant Emergency!

Help! I'm entertaining business clients in Singapore on September 24. They're fairly conservative though sophisticated eaters.

I was planning to take them to Raffles but was told by the concierge at the St. Regis that traffic will be problematic because of the Formula 1 practice event. Any indications on what to expect on Wednesday night?

Any suggestions in the Orchard Road area? Must be Western, must be upscale.

Kathie Sep 22nd, 2008 04:54 PM

How about Les Ami, at 1 Scotts Road in the Shaw center?

Kathie Sep 22nd, 2008 04:55 PM

oops - that's Les Amis

AskOksena Sep 22nd, 2008 06:05 PM

... >>>Must be Western, must be upscale.<<<

... (oh my, 'marmot', such short notice) ... (and do hope you appreciate those Singapore Girls - Forever) ...

... (just between us: just cough up the SIN dosh over the next few days, and let Accounting deal with it next fiscal quarter - rumour has it, it's been done before) ...

... (and now, warm greetings: the better half and I will be (hopefully) comfortably at home at our little budget busting Singaporean abode this forthcoming F1 weekend, with a few little obligatory functions at my primary SIN business hotel, the Four Seasons) ...

... which brings me to my little suggestion: contact a certain, all-time cherished, pre-mrs. m 'Bangkok booker', and arrange for her to fly certain, gorgeous 'western women' to Singapore, via yes, SQ F/J. Now, assuming your clients are male (and the occasional fun-loving white female), well, let's just say they can 'dine at the y', and all will be quite content by the time those little screamers go 'round, sweet SIN ...

... as always, joyous, uplifting, times ... (with that certain Singaporean airline) ...

macintosh (robert)

you can get anything you want/
at alice's restaurant/

(arlo guthrie)

marmot Sep 25th, 2008 01:34 AM

Thanks for the Les Amis suggestion. It's a place that I never seem to get to. I actually had a reservation this time, but my clients wimped out and decided to stay in. We had dinner at the St. Regis which was fairly lackluster, I thought.

They liked the hotel more than I did -- too much glitz and service that was eager, but often ineffectual. I missed the Four Seasons!

Kathie Sep 25th, 2008 05:45 AM

Sorry you didn't make it to Les Amis. I actually haven't eaten at that location, only at the Botanical Gardens location.

Sigh, why do people go so far and only eat at their hotel...

jkgourmet Oct 20th, 2008 08:43 PM

because they are frightened tourists instead of happy travelers!

lcuy Oct 20th, 2008 09:23 PM

Or perhaps they were just too tired and jet lagged and not in the mood to go out??

Thats me on occasion. And one reason I like to stay in hotels with good room service, just in case!!

Singapore though, I'd have to be sick to stay in though. I could kill for a good Laksah or black pepper crab, or the chicken rice,or satay, or a ripe mangosteen, or....

Dawgfunnit, I'm going to go check Kayak.com's airfares!

KMLoke Oct 21st, 2008 01:22 AM

Could I suggest some nice durians. There's a place selling durians just opposite Eng Seng (famous for the crabs)

Guenmai Oct 21st, 2008 09:06 AM

Lcuy...I agree. Sometimes folks are just too tired or jetlagged to have to find a restaurant outside of one's hotel.

When I used to regularly stay at the FS in Bangkok, I would sometimes eat dinner at the hotel. Afterall, the hotel has really good food and there are a lot of diners coming from other hotels and also locals to eat there,too. My advantage was that after the meal I was home, so to speak. Happy Travels!