Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Singapore, I`m confounded! Too much choice.

Singapore, I`m confounded! Too much choice.

Mar 15th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Singapore, I`m confounded! Too much choice.

After 2 months travel,I stopover in Singapore for 2 nights (early December)
Can anyone recommend a hotel?
Orchard rd or Riverside? Chinatown or Bugis?
I`m not much for shopping,but would like a quick look around. A swimming pool would be lovely. I`ve looked at Booking.com, there is an extraordinary choice .
My budget for 2 nights is up to $320 including tax and service.
Should I look for breakfast in hotel or go to the streets?

HELP. PLEASE
Mar 15th, 2010, 03:23 PM

If you want to be able to get around Singapore, being close to an MRT stop is more important than exact location.

As you've noted there are lots of hotels in your price range. Most booking sites (look at www.agoda.com and www.asiarooms.com as well as www.hotels.com ) offer prices that include tax, service and full breakfast. The breakfasts are typically lavish spreads with a huge array of foods, both local and international. If you don't get breakfast included in your hotel price (which is usually a bargain), then look elsewhere, as breakfasts in the hotels are typically expensive.
Apr 15th, 2010, 01:48 AM

I stayed in the Marina Mandarin last February and really loved the location , service , rooms, etc. Breakfast at the hotel is better since you have a wide selection and it isn't expensive. I booked it through booking.com and got an excellent rate.
Apr 15th, 2010, 02:07 PM

The Mandarin is a gppd choice but there areothere 4 star hotels in that area to choose from. If you pre-pay by going directly to a hotel's website you can often match or improve on the booking services and if you have AAA you may get a 10% discount.I would suggest you avoid Asiaroooms.com based upon my 1 experience but many others on this Forum over the years. Sawadee.com and Agoda/com were 2 I have found to get me the best rates in Thailand and malaysia. The shopping is vaied but the prices are not any better than good quality on sale at Bloomingdales or Macy's in the US. I would suggest you go to ION the newest mall on Orchard for 2-3 hours and you will have seen it all. As for bargains of trinkets Little India is maybe worth 1-2 hours if it is not too hot. I would not suggest Chinatown. The Botantical gardens are one of the loveliest I have seen but with the heat I would urge you to go when it opens or for the 2 hours before it closes. The same for the zoo which is better than many in the US. The Night Safari I have not gone on but I hear it is a bust. If you want some night life and gambling when we were in SN just last month the Sands opened and it is almost as elaborate as the best that Las vegas has to offer. I hope some of the above is useful.
Apr 15th, 2010, 04:12 PM

if your not into shopping then orchard is not for you, try the rest......riverside, or clark quay.........although my favorite is the Mandarin Meritus along orchard road.
Apr 15th, 2010, 06:21 PM

The Merchant Court might be a good place for you. On the river at Clarke Quay, with a subway stop right outside the door and a new shopping mall next door. I think it's well within your budget.
Apr 16th, 2010, 08:02 PM

I will suggest to pick a hotel around Clarke Quay. There's an MRT station around where you can go anywhere you want easily.
Apr 20th, 2010, 12:48 AM

I have been on the Night Tour of the Zoo and really enjoyed it - just fab. If you have time it's a must!

Lavandula
May 1st, 2010, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info,I`ve booked Park Hotel Clarke Quay.
I`ll definitely try for the Night Tour of the Zoo.
May 7th, 2010, 04:59 AM

How's this trip to Singapore?
Jun 1st, 2010, 05:59 PM

I was going to suggest the Merchant Court as well - I am not familiar with the Park Hotel, but I liked Clark Quay. Being along the river there is nice and it is convinient to the MRT. Chinatown is a relatively short walk as well, or a couple MRT stops.
Jun 5th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks november_moon,I`m happy with my choice & am looking forward to my stay in Singapore following your comments.
Jun 5th, 2010, 09:36 PM

The Fairmont Hotel (Formerly Raffles Plaza) and the subway system goes straight from the airport to the shopping center where it's located. It's very convenient. No taxi needed. I've stayed at several hotels in Singapore over a decade and like the Fairmont a lot. Plus, there's a whole food court right under the hotel, in the mall, and also a grocery store to stock up on beverages. Also the Chjmes complex is across the street, more restaurants, and the actual Raflles Hotel is directly across the street. Happy Travels!

Search this Thread