Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Singapore Hotel, darling.... (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/singapore-hotel-darling-588146/)

Balenciaga Feb 4th, 2006 09:48 AM

Singapore Hotel, darling....

Hello, my darlings. Can anyone help me choose between the Oriental or the Ritz-Carlton? Or what about the Shangi-La? I would stay at Raffles, but mother and Keith will not spend $650 a night for a hotel suite. Please help. Kathie? Anyone?

I am thin and gorjus, sweetie. :)

sqskybed Feb 5th, 2006 01:20 AM

The Oriental is just renovated. I like the RC but some rooms are a bit worn. I've also stayed at the Raffles but I think you can do better in Singapore for less money then at the Raflfles. Personally, I don't like the Shangri La. It's very huge. I'll be in Singapore in July and we're staying at the Four Seasons, just because of its central location. Both the Oriental and the RC are not quite central.

Balenciaga Feb 5th, 2006 02:19 PM

Thanks, guv. Anyone else care to respond?

Cheers,
John G.

Kathie Feb 5th, 2006 06:50 PM

My next stay in Singapore is likely to be either at the Raffles Plaza (note: not Raffles) which has a fabulous location or the Fullerton.

Kathie Feb 5th, 2006 06:51 PM

Oh, welcome back - you've changed your screen name!

Cicerone Feb 5th, 2006 08:06 PM

If you are absolutely choosing only between the Oriental and the Ritz, I would choose the Ritz for (i) location (ii) pool, (iii) rooms and bathrooms, (iv) public areas/restaurants. As noted above, location of both is not really prime, although the Ritz is better and a bit more walk able than the Oriental and closer to an MRT stop. I don't like the concrete tower that the Oriental is or is part of, and its a long hot walk to anything or you will end up taking taxis all the time (yes there is an MTR stop, but its a long walk to it through the mall as I recall).

I love the Shangri-La, the gardens, the pool, the quietness. It is a large hotel, but you don't get that feeling, at least not like you do IMO at the Shangri-La in Bangkok where that giant lobby just overwhelms you and its bulk by the river is evident. The various wings of the Shang in Singapore are pretty hidden and you don't realize how big it is. I agree it is a little bit off the beaten track, but the neighborhood is actually nice to walk around if you want to see some green and maybe one or two of the few remaining black and white colonial houses on the island (you can't say that about many neighborhoods in Singapore as there are very few, it's mostly high-rises). You can walk to Orchard Road, a bit of a walk, but for it and other places you will end up taking taxis more often. Taxis are cheap so I wouldn't be too concerned on that end, just maybe the little bit of inconvenience of getting one to and fro.

If you can broaden your choice, I agree that the Four Seasons is an excellent hotel and a great location if you want faster access to Orchard Road, it is a little bit greener and quieter as well. Have not stayed in the Fullerton but would like to next time as well, cannot beat the location (if you don't want to be in Orchard Road and I personally don't), it is probably my favorite "colonial-era" building left in Singapore, the public areas and pool are great. The Raffles Plaza is also an excellent location, I have not been in the rooms in many years, of the two hotels there I think I would choose the Swisshotel Stamford and a room on a high floor to get a very good view.

Kathie Feb 6th, 2006 07:09 AM

I stayed in both of the predecessors to the Swisshotel Stamford and Raffles the Plaza. The rooms at the Plaza are significantly larger and the bathrooms are at least twice the size of those at the Swisshotel. I haven't stayed at either since the conversion, so I can't comment on the current decor.