Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Singapore: Holiday Inn Orchard or Intercontinental in a club room? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/singapore-holiday-inn-orchard-or-intercontinental-in-a-club-room-908020/)

mcbg1 Oct 3rd, 2011 09:10 AM

Singapore: Holiday Inn Orchard or Intercontinental in a club room?

I'm taking my parents on their first trip to Asia next month and we will be spending 4 nights in Singapore. I currently have a reservation at the Pan Pacific. The view from the rooms looks fantastic and I like the location (I stayed at the Fairmont nearby last year). I thought we were good to go but I've been looking around for the past few days and it seems like we could get a club room at either the Holiday Inn Orchard or the Intercontinental for 100$ less per night than the Pan Pacific!

We will be sharing the room so room size is pretty important. Location is also a must. I think my parents would enjoy being close to Orchard Road but the Intercontinental looks interesting too. I walked by last year. Please help me decide! :)

Thanks!

Kathie Oct 3rd, 2011 09:28 AM

If it were me - and it isn't - I'd choose the Intercontinental no question.

There have been plenty of reviews of the IC here in the last year or so. All have been stellar.

simpsonc510 Oct 3rd, 2011 09:28 AM

I just stayed at the Intercontinental in a Club room in July. The room was an adequate size, but probably not large enough for 3 people, IMO. I had a 'king' room. Maybe a double double would have more space. I liked the entry way, which was separate from the rest of the bedroom. The bath was nice, and was another doorway off of the entry.

Location? Well, had I thought about it, I probably would have preferred staying along Orchard Rd (although I only ventured over there once). Craig (from here on the Asia forums) and his wife were also at Intercon, so we had a nice time in the mornings and evenings, in the club lounge (which was quite nice).

If/when I return to Singapore, I'll try Orchard Rd. I am not sure of which property, as I did not look at any of them for this first trip in July. I knew it would be Intercon because of the connection with other fodorites.

Singapore is really lovely. I do hope to return soon.

Carol

(I posted a report and a photo or two on TA on the Intercon)

mcbg1 Oct 3rd, 2011 10:20 AM

Thanks! The rooms at the Holiday Inn have two queen beds so I think I'll have to go with this one. The rooms at the Intercontinental look pretty small!

qwovadis Oct 3rd, 2011 12:12 PM

www.intercontinental.com booking.com for honest recent reviews

Join Priority Club it is FREE

Flash the card ask for help from manager if needed

They always upgrade me to best available usually a

club floor suite.

Craig Oct 3rd, 2011 03:00 PM

For what it's worth, can't say that rooms are particularly large at the IC so if that's your priority, maybe some place else would be better...

rhkkmk Oct 3rd, 2011 03:23 PM

i loved the IC, but the room was average size... a king bed with a rollaway should be fine i think... we had a great view from our room...

the club on the other hand is the best club experience we have ever had... best service, best food hands down..

i have a friends and family rate for IC that you can use...just ask me at [email protected] and i will send it along... saves quite a bit..

Roonn Oct 6th, 2011 05:00 AM

What exactly do you plan to do in Singapore?

Holiday Inn Orchard is in a good location (in Orchard road) but I doubt you'll be spending more than a day there! Also, the area's really crowded especially at night.

The Intercontinental Hotel is in Bugis Junction, which is a good vantage point from which to visit Little India, Chinatown, and the Marina Bay area. Bugis Street (beside Bugis Junction) is the Bohemian version of Orchard Road - lots of younger people there, and you'll see the real uncouth locals trying to get cheap deals. In the afternoons it can get really crowded and just walking down the street is a chore - I'm pretty sure your parents will prefer Orchard Road.